Re-bottling the Digital Genie?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In their rush headlong to introduce the CD, did the recording industry fail to recognize that digital technology will ruin them?
Is the re-introduction of Vinyl based on a a genuine improvement in sonic performance or just a survival tactic by recording companies, it takes some effort to copy vinyl?
Walmart.ca carries a catalog of 1524 vinyl LPs, mostly old re-issues and averages out @ $30 a pop!
An interesting development at a local charity shop. Last summer, CDs were reduced to 50 cents and a couple of weeks ago vinyl went from 25 cents to $1 with the excuse that vinyl is "collectible".
Imagine, a Bob Dylan CD for 50 cents or a beat up Bert Kaempfert LP for a $1.:p

In their rush headlong to introduce the CD, did the recording industry fail to recognize that digital technology will ruin them?
I'm not sure they will be ruined. It does seem that they did fail to foresee the market direction.
There's always this "new tech will destroy old tech" wolf-crying - live vs. radio, radio vs. TV, home video vs. theaters, etc., etc., etc.
Is the re-introduction of Vinyl based on a a genuine improvement in sonic performance or just a survival tactic by recording companies, it takes some effort to copy vinyl?
I have considered that possibility, a "survival tactic." With nostalgia providing fairly reliable assistance, it wouldn't be a foolish gamble IMO.
Walmart.ca carries a catalog of 1524 vinyl LPs, mostly old re-issues and averages out @ $30 a pop!
Ridiculous.
An interesting development at a local charity shop. Last summer, CDs were reduced to 50 cents and a couple of weeks ago vinyl went from 25 cents to $1 with the excuse that vinyl is "collectible".
Imagine, a Bob Dylan CD for 50 cents or a beat up Bert Kaempfert LP for a $1.:p
Nice to know my vinyl collection's value is increasing at a rate greater than gold.:)

They'll never sell me on Vinyl unless they go with advanced microgroove technology which requires a laser and computerized positioning to make it work, on a record the size of a MiniDisc.

Bare minimum they would have to do that before I buy into another Analog recording medium.

Digital isn't going anywhere for at least a while now, so I'm safe being invested in CD and investing even further in CD and continuing to develop my DAC.

The reason the record companies are suffering is not because of cd vs lp or streaming or piracy.
It is because the market has disappeared. The kids simply don't buy music anymore.
When I was young it was Beatles or Stones then it was Clash or Sex Pistols and finally Blur or Oasis. These days it is Playstation or xbox.
If you look at sales figures for every billion £ or $ the gaming industry grew the record industry lost an equivalent amount.
The excitement that kids had when the artist du jour released a new record is now caused by the release of a new game.

On the whole disposable income of households has remained pretty static since the '80s but now records have to compete for the same amount of cash with computers, mobile phones, consoles and games.
The golden years of audio and record sales are gone and will never come back.
The kids voted with their wallets and chose something more interactive than passively listening to music.
People like Virgin's Richard Branson and David Geffen so that coming from a long way away and sold their record companies at the top of the market, everybody else is losing out.

Who do you think you are? Canute?

This one is never going back in the bottle because there are so many of us ready to let him out again.

I lived with vinyl when there was no choice. Amost without exception we hated it. It's just not compatible with a normal life. A minute's carelessness or the intervention of a child could ruin a recording or even the turntable.

The reason the record companies are suffering is not because of cd vs lp or streaming or piracy.
It is because the market has disappeared. The kids simply don't buy music anymore.
When I was young it was Beatles or Stones then it was Clash or Sex Pistols and finally Blur or Oasis. These days it is Playstation or xbox.
If you look at sales figures for every billion £ or $ the gaming industry grew the record industry lost an equivalent amount.
The excitement that kids had when the artist du jour released a new record is now caused by the release of a new game.

On the whole disposable income of households has remained pretty static since the '80s but now records have to compete for the same amount of cash with computers, mobile phones, consoles and games.
The golden years of audio and record sales are gone and will never come back.
The kids voted with their wallets and chose something more interactive than passively listening to music.
People like Virgin's Richard Branson and David Geffen so that coming from a long way away and sold their record companies at the top of the market, everybody else is losing out.
Expensive headphones seem to be a fashion accessory with the young, so music must still be popular, just in a different format.
I cannot see vinyl making a comeback, not when CDs are being copied to hard drives and the former donated to charity shops.
Vinyl Records | Walmart Canada

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
No vinyl will never again be a very statistically significant % of music sales, but sales volumes are growing at very rapid rates at the moment (49% in 2014) and every single record pressing plant in the country is currently booked out solid well into the year. New vinyl is selling surprisingly well, not that I am buying much of it. (Mostly buying used vinyl these days which is also doing rather well.) Whether this sustainable or a fad is hard to say, but there is a small, but solid reasonably long term market for both new and used vinyl here and elsewhere. (As long as people of my generation +/- are still around.)

As far as I know all record mastering and production facilities are now in the hands of small, mostly privately held "enthusiast" companies. I'm not aware of any major label owning vinyl pressing plants or even necessarily the means to master on vinyl. I believe they contract with the indies as does everyone else.

I cannot see vinyl making a comeback, not when CDs are being copied to hard drives and the former donated to charity shops.
Vinyl Records | Walmart Canada

Yeah too bad thats a huge mistake to do that.

Quite a few people buy Seagate hard drives, Seagate is notorious for sudden failures.

There is also backing up to NTFS, a terrible idea, which leads to file corruption in about a year or two. You cannot notice this corruption it creeps up, but I guarantee you that some of your files if tested with their original MD5 hashes (if you made MD5 hashes) wouldn't match with a recent check. This will occur even on really good branded hard drives, NTFS is a terrible drive format, half assed all the way. (Made in 1993)

NTFS also locks you into a vendor platform which is dying, Linux is creeping up on Microsoft and Microsoft is fumbling around buying Nokia Devices & Services Division and other such useless junk. The company is dying tbh.

If you want to backup or archive your music then use at the very least ext4 (ext2 was introduced in 1993) on an external hard drive stored in another location away from your regularly used copy which sits on a system or secondary hard drive in a server or your workstation.

Oh and RAID is never a backup. And if you use Western Digital Green drives then turn off their intellipark "feature" which serves only to wear the heads of the drives and kill them by turning them off every 30-90 seconds. To do this you need to use WDIDLE3.EXE or Idle3-tools for Linux.

If you want something better then go with btrfs, there are also alternatives, ZFS.

Last edited:
I've known this for 10 years, Seagates aren't to be trusted, here is the data that I speculated at earlier:
Hard drive reliability study names names - The Tech Report

Once I bought a brand new 160GB Seagate hdd, it failed within 2 weeks spectacularly with a click of death.
Second time I bought a 320GB Seagate hdd, it failed within 3 months with a click of death.
There never was a third time.

II've never had a WD drive fail spectacularly, only one which was a few years ago and was caused by a on-drive controller failure and to top it off the WD drive was from 1998. I won't hold that against it! :)

Last edited:
If CDs weren't invented, some other digital format would have been (by some other consortium of record and audio equipment industry conglomerates), and there would have eventually been some compressed file format small enough to be sent over computer networks, so it was all inevitable.

I've known this for 10 years, Seagates aren't to be trusted, here is the data that I speculated at earlier:
Hard drive reliability study names names - The Tech Report

Once I bought a brand new 160GB Seagate hdd, it failed within 2 weeks spectacularly with a click of death.
Second time I bought a 320GB Seagate hdd, it failed within 3 months with a click of death.
There never was a third time.

II've never had a WD drive fail spectacularly, only one which was a few years ago and was caused by a on-drive controller failure and to top it off the WD drive was from 1998. I won't hold that against it! :)
What about copying CDs to a USB flash drive? I have converted CDs to mp3 format and copied them onto a USB drive and they sound good to me. USB drives are cheap and hold a lot of music.
Then there are DVDs, they can store a lot of music files?

Time to invent a Rumble/click-pop generator so you can add 'authentic' LP sounds to your digital playback.....;)

This brings up an interesting point.
It's the rumble from cheap TTs and "pops" from the lack of care of LPs that almost killed them.

Strange that no one ever criticized the the CDs because of the ones that are garbage due to a lack of care for them..

CD and digital are just more convenient and certainly more compact .and definally compatible for portable use .
So, quality lost to convenience in the end

I suspect that what's ruining the recording industry is greed. I believe that greed has led to MBA's and Lawyers making too many of the creative direction decisions. The same appears to have happened to the creative direction of the movie industry. Little creative risk taking anymore, simply keep churning out the same low investement mass market, low risk, familiar and boring content.

I mean, who else has noticed that popular music essentially seems "stuck" for the past two and a half decades. It used to be that you could associate each past decade with it's dominant popular music. The 30s, folk and early Jazz; the 40s, big band swing; the 50s, doo wop and bee bop; the 60s, classic rock; the 70s, funk and disco; the 80s, punk rock and new wave; the 90s, rap and hip hop, the 00s, rap and hip-hop; the 10s, rap and hip-hop. It seems that recorded popular music has finally reached the lowest common denominator as an art form and has stayed there. Little voice talent or musicianship is required anymore, mostly the same familiar b-o-r-i-n-g popular music forms.

It's my anecdotal sense that the reappearance of some vinyl in mass market type stores has mostly to do with the emergence and rise of "hipsters". These folks seem to take pride in being apart from the cultural mainstream, on setting the leading edge of cultural amd social innovation. They seem to view themselves as being socially clued in, and highly discerning on artistic, cultural, and fashion matters. Such matters, it appears, includes the audiophile spawned notion that vinyl provides (and personally portrays) a greater music appreciation than does CD. Make no mistake, however, hipsters are not audiophiles. Along with some vinyl you will often find for sale extemely crappy looking all-in-one-box (turntable, amp and speakers) portable record players that appear to be only one step above the close-and-play toy record players of my childhood.

Last edited:
I mean, who else has noticed that popular music essentially seems "stuck" for the past two and a half decades.
It's the rise of Everyman as music maker that's key - what one creates is irrelevant, it's the actual process of creation in itself that's important ... leading to vast quantities of repetitive, knock off copying of everything that's been done before. The creative, interesting experiments in music are still happening, but they're totally masked by the huge amount of "me too" efforts being spewed out.

Just means that one has to hunt in a different way for the worthwhile stuff - I've come across some extremely intriguing material, just by borrowing a randomly picked CD from the local library ...

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.