RB kit : grab it while you can ......

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I quickly ran a sim of the xover's transfer functions. Only 2 dB baffle step compensation for the 7" wide baffle design (see attached pic). You will get right tonal balance only if the cabinet depth is shallow and placed close to wall, or used as a desktop nearfield monitor.

Zaph tested this midwoofer a long time ago. Look under "Three Surface Mount Midwoofers" in his Tidbits page. FR and distortion measurements look pretty good. 3 mm xmax for this little driver is not bad.

The tweeter is a non-chambered, black dome version of the long-time favorite D25AG-35. With CAD for crossover design these days, its higher Fs due to the lack of a larger chamber, doesn't necessarily mean a higher crossover point to be required.

We can estimate how much the drivers would cost if they were available separately. Both the tweeter and the midwoofer would be $20 to $25 each, which means total $80 to $100. Still a good deal.

If anyone's interested, I can design an increased BSC and lowered xover point version. Then this will meet exactly the same design goal as Zaph's old HiVi W5/Vifa D27 2-way did: versatile little HT speakers that can be used even as a center channel speaker when placed on its side.

-jAy

Attachments

• mad_rb_woofer_tf.jpg
    mad_rb_woofer_tf.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 1,431
Moondog55 said:
I'm not suggesting this as a serious option as I am not familiar enough with either the amplifier or the little woofer, but Madisound do a 2-way plate amp with a LR4 XO at 3000Hz.

As mentioned in this post
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=136635

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-774

What would this combination be like as a powered studio monitor and does it represent value compared to those already in the market??

Hi,

I would not recommend it as the kit comes with a crossover, you
can do it but you would need to simulate to make sure sure the
c/o phase is not messed up and optimise the treble drive.

Technically an active monitor would also use active BSC effectively
(if it indeed had proper BSC), this option would require mods (not
complicated) to the plate amplifier. Ideally also the gains would
need playing with but extra BSC boost might circumvent this.

:)/sreten.

Jay_WJ said:

We can estimate how much the drivers would cost if they were
available separately. Both the tweeter and the midwoofer would be
$20 to $25 each, which means total $80 to $100. Still a good deal.

-jAy

H Jay,

The XO's for the previous "Swifty" are $35 each albiet better components.

Chuck the XO components and board in, Madisounds quoted
$160 for the total parts does not seem unreasonable at all.

If you do play around with a increased BSC version I'd say
the challenge is unusual. Lower the XO point if you can but
the main challenge is reusing XO bits as much as possible.

If anyone's interested, I can design an increased BSC and lowered xover point version. Then this will meet exactly the same design goal as Zaph's old HiVi W5/Vifa D27 2-way did: versatile little HT speakers that can be used even as a center channel speaker when placed on its side.

Jay, it would be good to see what can be done reusing as much of
the RB-1 crossover as possible. I ordered my RB-1 pair,
and am keen to get the best out it.
It will be interesting to watch what the usual suspects are going to do
modifying this kit.

Anyone have reviews on this kit? Built per madisound specs. No extra mods..

I'm trying to get my brother to get a set so I can build them for him. He isn't really in to this stuff, but I gave him a stereo Onkyo amp and he has a decent HDTV setup and no tunes.

I'm tempted to get a set for myself even though I don't need them. :)

I'm interested. I just got a pair and am thinking about getting a couple more for a 5.1 bedroom system.

Nice find Sreten. Thanks.

Compares very favorably to the P13 /D27 bookshelf combo we did a few years ago.

I grabbed a few kits and last night put a pair in some TL's I had previously made. This is a nice speaker. Clear, smooth and detailed-- a little more laid-back than the P13, but a fuller bass in the TL. (48Hz tuning) Doesn't cry out for a sub like the bookshelf did.

Was planning a bi-pole config. as I like that soundstage, but now thinking about getting more drivers for an MTM, as what it's missing is lower-mid detail. As you said, well worth playing with.

Some further information .....

Hi,

From Zaph :

Just a bit of info, Mad's recession buster was a special purchase and is
not a permanent addition to their line. So, get them while they are hot...

The crossovers were actually purchased stock from a different wall
mounted design, then modified by them as best they could without
inserting pricey components.
It would not have been cost effective to replace any inductors,
which is why this is a minimal BSC design. With all the copper in
typical crossover inductors, this was the way to savings in this kit.

Still, this design is probably suitable for close-to-wall or bookshelf
usage. These are great drivers, and well worth it for the drivers
alone for those who would like to roll their own crossovers.

So it seems the crossovers have already been "bodged up" which
means an attempt to redesign the c/o reusing the more costly
components wouild be misguided - its already been done.

Which makes this "built to original specification" misguided :

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=8526

$80 to upgrade non-optimally designed crossovers ....

Say I were to buy two of these kits, but just use the woofers from one, and add to the other to build a MTM. Is that completely out of the question here? My biggest concern is what would happen to the crossover frequencies.

Along those same lines- using just the crossover out of the second kit if I do the above- what are the XO points for a 8 ohm tweeter, 4 ohm woofer.

Or- where could I determine these points on my own?

Thanks guys.

These are really tempting... I've been considering Zaph's ZBM4's as my first build, and my goal is cheap but accurate near-field monitors for my computer desk. I like listening to music & recording, and I would love to have something better than the average computer speakers but at a low price.

I was planning on building the ZBM4's, and the price list for drivers & crossover components was about $100, not including sound dampening, ports, or enclosures. I was planning on building enclosures out of MDF.

So the big question is... how does the RB-kit compare to the ZBM4's? I understand they're different prices, I'm just trying to get a feel for how they compare to each other in order to make my decision. It seems like I could save a bit of money by buying the RB-kit and building an enclosure myself. The FR graph on the ZBM4's looks very flat, not much low-end response, slightly higher output above 600hz. The FR for the RB-kit looks a little more lumpy, and big bass hump from 50-100 hz. I wonder if that'll be better sounding or more annoying than the ZBM4's response. Ideally I would be able to listen to both and make a decision, however I really can't afford to build both.

Any input is appreciated. I realize comparisons may be subjective, but even those may be helpful in making a decision.

DarpMalone said:

Hey soundemon

I've been thinkin' of buying a couple kits as well but I wasn't sure if I'd get killed with duty charges... How much (CDN) did it end up costing delivered?

Thanks
Including shipping, exchange, and import, it still only cost me about $100 cdn. not too terrible. If my current build works out, I may order another set to make both sets of rears in my 7.1!

I'm thinking about building the ported design as a nearfield monitor. I keep reading about the advantages of using a front slot port and I see a back slot port in pictures of Nik's finished enclosures. I was wondering if there exists a worked out design featuring a front slot port?

If anyone has a design or can point me to one, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Also, I'm thinking of rounding over not only the sides of the baffle, but also the top and bottom. Will this have an adverse effect?

Re: Re: Why plate?

Stuey said:
Al foil doesn't affect the magnetic flux, does it?. It needs to be ferrous.

sreten said:
Hi,

Niether driver is shielded. As stated a speaker can be shielded
with galvanised / tin plate. I recall Infinity making a miniature
with damping layer / internal steel plate / mdf exterior.

There seems to be some confusion here between magnetic shielding and electromagnetic (RF) shielding.

RF shielding is done to prevent electromagnetic waves from going in or out of an enclosure. This is the aluminum foil, grounded metal cage, Faraday cage, and the hard to see through plate with holes on the front of a microwave oven. On a loudspeaker, this is almost never done, and arguably, almost never necessary. Unless your loudspeaker enclosure has a built-in amplifier, it is not going to pick up radio interference easily. A faraday cage will also protect from static electric fields. This is why being inside of a car can protect you from lightning.

Magnetic shielding is not really a function of blocking a magnetic field, but actually one of conducting it off into a different direction-- changing the magnetic circuit. Some expensive materials can be purchased to do this, but more often a canceling magnet is added to the back of a driver to do this. It is really only necessary when placing a loudspeaker close to a CRT based screen (or potentially other electronics like other types of vacuum tubes).

Some useful info can be found here:
http://www.lessemf.com/faq-shie.html
and here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_shielding

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.