Rane RPM 26z - why so little discussion?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Was thinking of getting a DCX2496. But I'm concerned about the volume/control levels issue. However I don't feel like installing one of the passive output kits. Tired of soldering for the moment. Was willing to spend a little bit more for something that wouldn't have to be modded - but not this much. There's kind of a vacuum between the $300 Behringer and $2500+ units. The Rane is one of the only things in that void. (I want a fully configurable digital xover with digital in and balanced outs, 3 way stereo) A number of vendors baffle me by having digital units that have no digital input. It's frustrating as heck that a company with an excellent reputation like TC electronics makes something that is "close, but no cigar". Anyhow...

Can anybody speak to the quality of the unit? I sent them an email asking if they could disclose the DAC and opamp used and they didn't respond, which is always a vaguely bad sign. I do like the volume control feature, but the documentation on their website is so vague. Is the volume signal literally controlling an analog preamp stage, or is it done digitally as w/the Behringer? For 1K it ought to sound better than the Behringer even if you factor in the cost to produce it in the USA...which I believe is where it is made.

It is a great processor. I have been using the RPM88 in my car for a number years. Rane did a lot of stuff right in the processors. The only drawback to the RPM series is the graphic EQ section is a memory hog. I can do 96 bands of parametric in the same processing use as a pair of 31 band graphics.

The volume control is done post DAC in the analog output section.

Opamps are generic JRC 4580/5532s. DAC is AKM4356 (I think from memory).

I have the schematics for the RPM26Z saved to my computer...Rane used to have ALL schematics on the website years back, but took them down.

Email me at jasonwinslow at yahoo.com if you want me to email them to you.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.