Randy Slone: Opti-MOS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
No interest in making trouble grey but i certainly dont have a problem with someone who makes their beliefs well known via their website or whatever...... as for the other matter @ hand, i'm glad to hear pixie's amp is now working well.

Unless someone else has something to say, i'm happy to leave this topic where it is.......

grataku said:
Pixie,
Randy Slone is a very nice guy indeed. However, if you read his web site, you will find that he is also a jesus freak, a creationist that, when it comes to his spiritual beliefs, refutes the scientific evidence to the contrary. He completely turns around and takes the objectivist approach as his audio philosophy. Here only the hard experimental data matters. Therefore, an amp with low measured distorsion will always sound more transparent. As a result of this conflicting views it hard for me to believe the man.
As far as I am concerned I take an empirical approach: change both the circuit topology and the components until you get the best possible sound to your ears.

Ummm, these are two totally separate things you're talking about. The fact that Slone is a creationist is in no way relevant to his opinions or otherwise on audio. You've raised a straw man. Personally I agree with much of what he says on audio. I disagree with his creationism. Now drop it.

Keith

Account Disabled
Joined 2002
Grataku,
You can refute Randy Slone's audio work all that you want to, but I thought it was an extremely cheap shot that you took at his (and my) personal beliefs. If you knew anything about the Creationist viewpoint, you would know that it is built on the same facts as what you refered to as "scientific evidence", but makes assumptions that are actually more believable and realistic than the THEORY of evolution. If you were to do some investigating, you may be surprised to find the amount of faith involved in any theory dealing with the origins of mankind is about the same any direction you want to go, including the popular one. Hey, wasn't it the mainstream view not so long ago that distortion specs were the only thing that mattered, and that amps with similar specs sound the same? This is proof that one's faith in his philosophy can become a religion. Let's stop the bashing and try to have an open mind here.

SteveG, I couldnt agree more....

Well, I spent a few hours and read every post in this thread top to bottom and well what can i say? Never have i seen such a passionate and heated debate take place in the forums.... from the sounds of things, there hasnt been and no one is really willing to start another.... i cant blame them.... both sides of the argument has its merits but ultimately i guess all you can do is say that if the person building it enjoys the sound then so be it.... no amp ... not this one nor any other has even really approached the 'straight wire with gain' that we all strive for but ultimately not all things can be explained logically or indeed scientifically.... ask any decent and truthful scientist and they themselves will tell you so.... much of this is probably simply that we have yet to engineer the tools to measure such things etc... but some things just aren't for the scientific arena.... this is especially true when it comes to art and faith... now audio being @ least in part art, one has to accept that peoples likes and dislikes differ so while some may measure better and others may sound more transparent not everyone will like either... personally i prefer SE Class A Mosfet amps but tubes and bjt do have there place and neither tubes nor mosfets nor bjt are perfect for every occasion .... but if you enjoy it then so be it and congratulations on finding something you find pleasent to your ear.... doesnt mean others will like it nor does it mean that you will in a few weeks/months/years time .... as for faith... there is quite a bit of scientific evidence that correlates with what i and many other people believe... having said that, i believe i have already made my beliefs known and I am I happy to discuss them further with anyone who is interested but i am also happy to keep this forum to the topic @ hand which i believe was originally diyAudio :) .......

Peace.

AudioFreak.

Can I just ask the Grand Poobah in DIY Audio Land to close this thread next time it ventures into religion? Like everyone else I have an opinion on religion, and I'm sure everyone has as much interest in knowing what my opinion is as I have an interest in knowing what theirs is ... ie. zero interest! May I kindly suggest religious debates (and comments) are taken to the appropriate forum.

Cheers,

Pete

GRollins said:
2nd warning...
Get off the religion aspect. If you want to witness or evangelize, take it somewhere else. I'm sure there are sites for that sort of thing.
Three strikes and you're out.

Grey
(aka the Vice Grand Poobah)

There is. There's a news group talk.origins. If people want to discuss evolution and creationism, go there. I'd love to discuss it, but it's not the topic for here.

Gidday Jam, how's the audio world? I see some good posts you make from time to time. I decided to keep out of this one for two reasons. Firstly there's nothing new and secondly I'd be accused of stirring.

regards, Keith

What a thread, an hour later and ive read it all, and im siding with grey, having been into many a shop and sat with my fav cd and 2 idetical amps by spec, and the sound was from different planets. The bottom line is simply "his to his own". Grey you must respect the thoughts of other even if they are different to your own, you are definately a well respected DIYer and you have my highest respects, but you must also accept the sides of others, he may be completely and utterly wrong on the subject, but if he wants to spend $10,000 on a SS amp which sounds like someone is drowning a cat, then let him, its his own personal enjoyment, we are all in search of one thing, what makes us excited, makes our music come alive, we should applaude him for making his search for that so easy by agreeing with specs.

As for the topic of religion, who gives a flying ****(jas, why arent profanities visable? we are all old enough here)

It would be best to hold the profanity down for the good and simple reason that we have several members who are in their early-to-mid teens. I'd hate to have someone's parents look over their shoulder, see a word they didn't like, and ban their kid from the site.
As to visitors...no telling what age group they're in. Considering that I started playing with electronics at about age five or six, and that kids these days start the web at about that same age, you never know who's there.
That said, some of the words that were considered to be absolutely, positively BAD when I was a kid are regularly used in the comic strips these days. Words in common usage then are verboten now. Plus ca change... (Yes, I know I went from German to French. I'm invoking poetic license again.) Keep it down to the occassional hell or damn until some of the other words make it into the funnies.

Grey

$0.02

Another example of tubes sounding very similar to Solid State:

Opera Audio's Consonance range have clear and well defined mids and top end, with wonderful solid bass. When the smaller amplifiers start to run out of puff, they sound more like my "standard" Denon amp.

The transparency of sound is very similar to Electrocompaniet ECi4 and bigger brothers, along with very convincing bass line. (Actually quite similar in balance to Macintosh solid state too, for that matter.)

Couldn't believe it when I heard it.

Regards,
MW

Excuse me for being a bit out of topic, but can someone please build a 240V version of the OPTI-MOS for me for a cheap price, please? (I have no knowledge in DIY but I'll get to it once I'll start to study)
I'm trying to have a decent amp in a decent price for my first decent speakers but prices are insane in Israel and Import tax is %70 for amplification :xeye:
At least a DIY amp could be under declared.
I don't know which version of the Optimus to chose and would love to have opinion on this.

These will be my speakers probably:
http://www.selahaudio.com/id16.html

Oh and another question: can it take a 7V input from my source??? It's a modded ART DI/O.

Thanks a lot
Adam

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.