Radio Shack Accurian Receiver, quality of amp? (pics inside)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I put sockets on the board and the crappy 4558s with two tl72s. There is some improvement in the midrange less harsh. Next step, bypass all the 4.7uf electrolytic with some higher quality film capacitors.

After that, I will replace the volume pot with a $.50 pot I purchase. For $.50 the pot turn out to be very very good, Hell the pot is good period!

Btw there is some gain on the preamp board.

Accurian

In the mod posted for direct input from the line out jacks, there is no need to switch the inner plug to the outer position after removing the feed from the RF board. A quick look on the back of the preamp board shows them connected already. Also, I removed the power feed (plug by top boards transformer)to the RF board and put it back in place. This makes the power transformer on that board no longer a potential source of hum. The amp can be returned to it's normal state by plugging the connectors back in! Bob Eiser

Also, I removed the power feed (plug by top boards transformer)to the RF board and put it back in place. This makes the power transformer on that board no longer a potential source of hum. The amp can be returned to it's normal state by plugging the connectors back in!

I completely removed the RF board. I don't plan on returning it to it's original state since I have 3 more units :)

-Ken

OK, I finally have had time to tear into this thing. I removed the RF board and switched the input (though it apparently does not need to be done). I removed the entire preamp board and now I need a little guidence.

Can I just wire in a volume pot on its own ignoring the rest of the board, or do I need the 4.7 uF caps?

What about the +15v, -15v and LED leads on the wire harness headed to the amp board. Do they need to be reconnected?

Thanks,

AIA

AIA said:

Can I just wire in a volume pot on its own ignoring the rest of the board, or do I need the 4.7 uF caps?
Yes to both. If you leave out the cap,check the dc at output. I tried it,I got 4.5mv at output. If your source has low dc offset,you should be fine.

AIA said:

What about the +15v, -15v and LED leads on the wire harness headed to the amp board. Do they need to be reconnected?

No,with the preamp board gone, the +/-15v is not need.

I stumbled on this thread last week and was lucky enough to find last 2 of these at local Rat Shack store. I did the input mod on one and it sounds ok but not good enough to have much use for me. I actually bought these for the transformers. I want to use them for LM3886 mono block. The voltage of the transformers looks good but is 2 amps enough?

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
As someone who used to work for Radio shack some years ago: On discontinued merchandise, they have, (or used to have) a listing of local stores which have it.

It depends on how friendly you are with the salesperson if he wants to go through the effort of either telling you who still has it, or to arrange to have it shipped to his store. So it you have a friendly relationship with someone at your local Radio Shack, he would be the one to ask.

This applied to how Radio Shack was a few years ago, assuming things have not changed.

This post hasn't had an addition in 9 months!

I just purchases the last Accurian Receiver from the local Radio
Shack (Santa Rosa, CA) for $16. I pulled the "wireless" board
and rerouted the AC wires while adding a good twist. I also
twisted the RCA input wires. Measured the DC offset and it was
under 5mV for each channel. /2W

I plan to use it as a preamplifer. I will add a small board inside and
attach it to the post that held the "wireless" board. There will be
two L-pads and these will be wired to a two new sets of RCAs.

I tested the unit with a 15K ohms / 1.1K ohm external L-pad that
drops the voltage 24dB with a 20k ohm load. . . everything worked great.

So, I will make the new internal L-pad with a 220 ohm /2W and
a 47 ohm to ground resistor. With my Rotel RB-850 as the load
it will result in -15 dB of the Accurain Voltage

The Accurian should develop 5.69V across the L-pad which will pass
95.3mA of current and produce 1V at the 27k ohm amplifier input
producing 45W/8ohm.

If the Accurain develops 14.14V (equal to 25W/8ohms), then
there will be 2.48V at the amplifer input. . . that is 7.9dB of gain.
I think the Accurain can develop closer to 23V with the higher
resistance at the output. . .so, it can easily have a gain of close
to 12dB.

iSonic 84 aka Accurian PowerLine Digital Audio Receiver/Amplifier

Radio Shack # 15-1937

It states sensitivity of 175mV and 850mV, giving it a gain of 38.1dB and 24.4dB (14.14V/8ohms - 25 watts/1.77A).

+-10dB at 100Hz and 10kHz

Noise 5mV to 20mV

Attachments

• sonic84_0502252.jpg
    sonic84_0502252.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 875
quick question

The answers to my questions are probably obvious, but I am somewhat new so thanks to anyone who can help me out. Do the 15+ and 15- (wiring harness connections) on the amp board go to or from the tone control board? Or to reword it, does the tone control board get its power from the amp board? Is the 15 volts regulated or unregulated and does anyone know how much mAs it has on tap?

The +/- 15VDC supply is for the preamp board (if you take a close
look there are two op-amps on that board; there are some zeners
in the power supply and since it is running op-amps, then I
would be quite certain that it is regulated. . .but not too much current.

Notice also that most of the resistors on the preamp board are
1/8W carbons. . .again, not too much current; there is a spot on the
main board for a 3-pin voltage regulator and heat sink. . .but unused,
there would be two for a split supply. . .

But it doesn't need it that much current. . .it is a preamp. Someday
soon I need to pull the board an make a schematic. . . that would
tell for absolute certain.

Pulled the board and traced the circuit. . . seems to always be parallel
to the output to ground irrespective of the output relays. . .then
the load is parallel to it. . .I stink at reading values on resistors and
caps. . .seems like a small value for zobel.

2W output (Red,Red,Silver,Gold) 0.22 ohms
1W zobel (Yellow,Violet,Gold,Gold) 4.7 ohms

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.