Radiation Patterns

most problematic in terms of radiation pattern

• Total voters
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Spacing the foam out from the wall has also been observed to have a beneficial effect, as a larger volume of the foam operates in the high velocity region.

An array of foam panels spaced (back to back) according to an exponential function could be very interesting. The thickness and density of the panels in relation to each other could also vary according to an exponential function. This arrangement may lead to an impedance which possesses a minimum of reactance and a resistance which approaches a constant value vs frequency.

also i just had another brilliant ;) revelation

we should place this broadband absorbing stuff precisely in locations which are hit by the worst beaming. that way the room will actually be able to EQUALIZE the speaker's own response irregularity ! by absorbing output at angles where it is uneven and not absorbing where it is even.

but how would i manufacture foam ;)

sure Geddes says all foam is foam but i don't agree. foams are very different. i might get some cheap foam somewhere - but will it be even half as good acoustically ? i doubt it.

did you try laying down on a tempurpedic mattress ?

i think foam is better left to professionals :)

You wouldn't have to manufacture the foam, just buy it direct. I'm sure you could purchase the same foam Auralex uses if you did the research:D

Foam is a very interesting material indeed. If you examine the microstructure you will observe that all foam is not the same as the mechanisms for absorption will vary according to its properties.

also i just had another brilliant ;) revelation

we should place this broadband absorbing stuff precisely in locations which are hit by the worst beaming. that way the room will actually be able to EQUALIZE the speaker's own response irregularity ! by absorbing output at angles where it is uneven and not absorbing where it is even.

Yep:D What you've described is precisely why significant absorption is used behind sources which possess a baffle whose dimension approaches/exceeds the wavelength. The rear energy often possesses a significant spectral imbalance due to the 2pi-->4pi radiation transition.

You could even use reflectors/diffusors to direct the energy into the panels.

Last edited:
Spacing the foam out from the wall has also been observed to have a beneficial effect, as a larger volume of the foam operates in the high velocity region.

yes.

An array of foam panels spaced (back to back) according to an exponential function could be very interesting. The thickness and density of the panels in relation to each other could also vary according to an exponential function. This arrangement may lead to an impedance which possesses a minimum of reactance and a resistance which approaches a constant value vs frequency.

Quetiapine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ;)

You wouldn't have to manufacture the foam, just buy it direct. I'm sure you could purchase the same foam Auralex uses if you did the research:D

Foam is a very interesting material indeed. If you examine the microstructure you will observe that all foam is not the same as the mechanisms for absorption will vary according to its properties.

i did buy foam from auralex once - a brick 1 x 1 x 2 feet.

but just now eyeballing that corner block ( mega LENRD ) i realized that two such blocks form a cube EXACTLY with no material wasted. apprently they just cut a cube in half with a laser or something similar along a zig-zag line.

how would i be gaining in efficiency by cutting it myself ?

my point is that your multi layer scheme is just too complicated. it doesn't matter whether it works or not. whenever i think of a car which would have optimum weight and torque distribution to the wheels as well as optimum fuel economy and low center of gravity i always end up with multiple combustion engines, multiple electrical motors and multiple transmissions - but that is insanity :)

a successful design should be simple. think tesla roadster - one moving part.

i get a lot of theoretically sound but practically useless ideas. when i was a teenager for example i invented a subwoofer which can produce arbitrarily low frequency in arbitrarily low volume enclosure - but it is so complicated that i still do not see any practical way of building it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
my point is that your multi layer scheme is just too complicated. it doesn't matter whether it works or not. whenever i think of a car which would have optimum weight and torque distribution to the wheels as well as optimum fuel economy and low center of gravity i always end up with multiple combustion engines, multiple electrical motors and multiple transmissions - but that is insanity :)

a successful design should be simple. think tesla roadster - one moving part.

i get a lot of theoretically sound but practically useless ideas. when i was a teenager for example i invented a subwoofer which can produce arbitrarily low frequency in arbitrarily low volume enclosure - but it is so complicated that i still do not see any practical way of building it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Industrial engineering (manufacturing) is half the fun;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.