Questions on BrianGT's basic kit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I used the search and lerned alot about this but i have a couple questions.
1. Can i get about 100 watts per channel out of this and also what transformer would i need to accomplish this(ive been searching parts express would the 330VA -25V+25V transformer work($47.67 from PE))?
2. Would this be a stereo amplifier or is it just one signal with two outputs. What would i need if anything to make it a stereo amplirier. Thanks so much!

There are months of reading here about this subject and your questions. Luckily, you don't really have to. Read Brian's instruction manual and Nuuk's site.

Quick answers:

1. The LM3875 can provide 56W continuous average output power into 8 ohms, and Nat. says "100W instantaneous peak output power capability," so your answer is a qualified yes, and yes, that transformer is fine.

2. The kit is for a stereo amp and you'll need a pot, some wire and connectors, and a case.

BTW, This amp provides tons of power for home use. Do you really need 100W?

Depending on where in WI you are, you may be able to swing by and hear mine. I used that very trafo and the basic BrianGT kit. I'm in NE IL (closer to WI than Chicago by a good bit). ;)

If you're powering 4ohm speakers, a little less on the torroid would be good... 22V is ideal, 18V works also. 22V is an ideal middle ground between 4ohm and 8ohm performance.

IMHO it's enough power for most any set of speakers. If you were asking for 500W it may be a different story.

C

The only speakers these will ever see will be 8 ohm so the +25V -25V should be safe right? I would love to hear how it sounds. I go to college in Platteville and live in Madison. I wonder how long of a drive it would be......

Now all i need to decide is what to make the chassis out of.

~2hr drive depending where in Madison. Just was through there on the way to Spring Green a couple weekends ago. You're welcome to swing on down - bring speakers and CD's. And anything else you're curious about. If you want. Toss an e-mail my way (through the forum works just fine)

I have a small sampling of available speakers though. 6 at the moment (some crappy, some less so).

The drive from Platteville isn't going to be quite so quick. ;)

C

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.