questions on aleph 2 parts

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everybody,

after further detective work on the PCB i thought i´ve found a short circuit. Having fixed it i turn on the amp again and immediately R 3 melt.

This gets more and more frustating to me (having in mind the amp allready worked a few days before).

Does anybody have an idea what´s wrong ?

Regards

Frank

Yes they are. From the Service Manual:

TH1 is a power thermistor used to connect the circuit and chassis ground to the AC outlet
ground. It will normally operate at 5 ohms, suppressing ground loops in the system, but will
drop to a low impedance if significant current is passed through it.

TH2 is a power thermistor (Keystone CL-60) which is used to suppress inrush current.

In A bind

Hi, I was wondering any body wants to trade 8 caps of higher voltage to 16 of these brand new caps. I found out it's not a good idea to run caps at their 95% voltage rating. I know I can't afford any more caps, and I bought a case of these.:bawling:

So, please help.:xfingers:

Regards.
SAAD//

Attachments

• cap.jpg
    cap.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 536
I am very new at this DIY game, at least the Audio side. In the industrial set up we allways worked with WV (Working Voltage) rating, But when I raised the question about these caps being part of a A2 power supply, Some one in the forum mentioned that it was not adviseable to use caps at so close to their WV. Now I think I'm going to finish building the amp.

BTW, Is there any thing about having too many caps? I'm throwing 8 caps per channel. They were cheap.;)

Let me just thank you guys once again, I'm sure there's gonna be many more to follow.

Regards.
SAAD//

Have you seen the movie Finding Nemo?
You know how Marlin (the father Clown fish) is showing Nemo how to leave the anemone and he goes out, and back in, then out, then back in...
There are people in the world who are...shall we say...overly cautious. Boldness challenged. Lacking the true pioneer spirit.
They probably wake up in the morning and check for rattlesnakes in their shoes before putting them on...whilst living on the 35th floor of an apartment building in Manhattan.
As long as the caps aren't really, really old, they're good for it. If they are old, they're going to crap out anyway no matter what, so you might as well pump 'em full of electrons. If you hook them up backwards, all bets are off.
Too many caps? We are DIY. We laugh at the very thought of too much of anything (except heat--take heat seriously).
Just watch the inrush current when you turn the thing on. If it gets too extreme, you could start the filter with an inductor, which will knock down the initial spike a bit. If that doesn't do the trick, then consider a slow start circuit.
Once upon a time, I raided a pile of defunct mainframe computer gear and got a bunch of caps. What to do? Hmmm. Before all was said and done, I had laced a quarter-Farad or so to one of my Threshold S-500s. Whoa! Popped fuses on turn-on. Whipped up a simple RC timer/comparator/driver transistor/relay to switch a resistor in and out of each rail at turn-on. Worked like a charm. Sounded great.
My rule of thumb is this: Watch your neighbor's lights when you turn on your amplifier. If his lights dim, then you're doing okay. Don't bother watching your own--any DIY worth his salt can dim his own lights.

Grey

Nichicon 68000uf / 50V

Hi, I was wondering any body wants to trade 8 caps of higher voltage to 16 of these brand new caps. I found out it's not a good idea to run caps at their 95% voltage rating. I know I can't afford any more caps, and I bought a case of these.

If I remembered correctly, the commercial Aleph 2 also use the 50V rating!

Thomas

Mr Rollins, Point well made and taken.
Off topic: I really have to watch what I say in these posts. One might conceive it a wrong way and harass the people I'm trying to show humble gratitude to. I also find these people funny, Because they are also looking at the threads, but offering little or no help.

On a different note: Mr Rollins, I read a lot of your posts and I was wondering have you ever thaught about taking a crack at writing. For people who's thinking that he writes everyday; I meant writing books. Anyway, I think I saw some where that you mentioned that you might be working on a book or did I completely take it out of context. How ever, you should go for it.
I was also wondering if you can post a picture or two of your water-cooled Alephs.

Regards.
SAAD//

arold19 said:
I want to know the power rating for some resistor in the Aleph 2

1-For the 0,47 Ohm output resistor ????? maybe 5w ???
2-For the 1 Ohm resistor near the output mosfet ?? 5w ??

All the other resistor are 1/4 watt ????

You are in the right ball park. The heavy hiters thinks, keeping 0.47 and 1 ohm resistors at 3-5 watts so that you can paly with the bias current without letting all the pretty smoke out of these resistors.;) The rest could be 1/4 watt.

Regards.
SAAD//

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.