question that i cant seem to find the answer to:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
update: i got kxproject to work with my current simple 2.1 setup....however, i only get sound if i hook it up to either the front out jack or the rear out jack...i tried hookingit up to the center/subwoofer jack and i got nothing...or so i thought

when i didnt hear anything i decided to turn up the volume super high and it was just basic fuzz, then i noticed that the mp3 could be heard amongst the fuzz....very VERY faint, but DEFINATELY noticable....so i am thinking its something wrong with my soundcard....the manual for it does say that the analog/digital out jack can be used with a center channel/subwoofer...but the only changeable features of it are to select whether or not i want digital only...i tried checking and unchecking it and it does not affect anything....

what is up?

just an idea, maybe the reason the center/subwoofer jack isnt working is because i am not just hooking up a sub, instead i am hooking up the 2.1 logitech computer speakers i have...it is just one 1/8" plug for the whole 2.1 setup, so maybe this is why the subwoofer channel doesnt seem to work...its cuz i dont actually have just a subwoofer hooked up to it...

"Open the amp

Trace your inputs

After the coupling cap, find the first resistor to ground... that is close enough. "

this way seems a bit simpler than the other...i think i am gonna try it...what exactly does "first resistor to ground" mean? do i find the first resistor in the circuit following the rca inputs, and read the color bands to figure out the resistance value? seems a bit simple...BUT i havent been in there yet, so it may be more difficult to find that first resistor than i think...

am i on the right track?

what is meant by the power lead and the ground lead? is that like the red RCA cable and the black one...?

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
The RCA cable-the normal cable used for connecting turntable or CD player to your preamp or receiver-has two wires. The positive one is connected to the center of your RCA plug, the negative one is connected to the outside rim of the plug.

As for finding out the first resistor to ground, the resistor must be connected to the ground of the amplifier. Personally, I think that way might be a little complicated to a novice, I would go with the potentiometer, you can get them at Radio Shack.

Most solid state, (not tubes), amplifiers or receivers have at least a 10,000 ohm input impedance. For the sake of Passive Line Level Xovers, the higher the better. So if you build your Passive Line Level Xover for an input impedance of 10,000 ohms, you will have no trouble plugging into an amplifier of 50,000 or 100,000 ohms. No trouble at all.

But, if you build your Xover assuming your amp has input impedance of 50,000 ohms, and your amp actually has only 10,000 ohms, you will run into problems.

So, if you assume your amp has an input impedance of 10,000 ohms and build your Xover accordingly, you are probably pretty safe it will work with most any amp.

But it would be good to measure anyway.

Do you have a meter? I think you can pick them up for $12 or so at Walmart. Radio Shack frequently has them on sale. If not, you might be able to borrow one.

I found your other thread, and I hate to say it, but after 6 pages of questions and answers, it is pretty obvious that you have bitten off more than you can chew. I would suggest you try to get some help setting up your soundcard as building another crossover may end up in just more frustration for you and the people trying to help you out. Failing that, perhaps something like this may help: http://www.madisound.com/kgamps.html

I saw a link to it in another theread. The KG 3100 looks like it has a crossover that will work at 150hz (as recommended) and will power your sub (50watts) and your two speakers (2*25watts). Some other forum members may have experience with this amp to tell you if it is suitable.

I am sure how confident you are with computers, but try completely uninstalling all your soundcard drivers and re-installing the recommended ones. If the problem is your soundcard, it will probably be cheaper to replace it than build a crossover or any other option.

chrish said:
I found your other thread, and I hate to say it, but after 6 pages of questions and answers, it is pretty obvious that you have bitten off more than you can chew.

you are SOOOOO RIGHT

i have bitten off more than i can chew, and it seems the only way out is to spend more money...

i am gonna just build em like i have em and listen to em...i am still waiting to get certain stuff inthe mail, the speakers arent even built yet....im gonna do them as is and see how they sound, then figure out what needs to be done, cuz i am torn as to how to fix this little problem...

i am very upset that its my soundcard that could be my savior but instead isnt working properly either...neither kx project nor the software that came with the soundcard will register that the 5.1 even exists...it gives me 2/4 speaker options only...i guess i should try and find a soundcard guru....or just get over it

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
I just want to second chrish and quickshift.

I supplied the info about other ways to do the filter because you asked. But if I were doing this project, and I knew my computer sound card had the capability to do the filtering itself, I would definitely use the computer for the filter.

Don't cheat yourself out of the advantages of using the computer for filtering. By all means, check out the KX forums.

ok you have convinced me...ill go find the forums and ask...i really think that i have a different soundcard then i told you (i bought it off ebay a lil while back) and maybe thats why its not showing 5.1 ... or maybe not...ill post back after i hit their forums...

thanks for everyone who helped...im gonna hold onto the towel for just a little while longer

Also, there is a chance that whatever you are plugging into the sub-out on your soundcard may not be doing what you intend. Before you conclude you have a soundcard problem, try to find something else you can plug into the sub-out jack to confirm if it is the soundcard or not. I can give you this advice from hard experience. Spent hours trying to troubleshoot a phase problem with one of my speakers - trying to get to the crossovers and work out how I had mis-wired them. After much hair pulling frustration, I worked out that the problem was that I had simply put the red and black banana plugs on the speaker wire the wrong way around at one end - doh!

Do you have any test equipment? A multi-meter?

i might be able to obtain a multimeter, but after my kxproject forum discussion i think i know the problem...

apparently the model number for the soundcard i got doesnt match up with the title of the auction (ebay)....i bought a 5.1 and i received a model that only goes up to 4 speakers output....the analog/digital jack is just digital in this case, not an optional analog or subwoofer out....

grrrrr

Well, at least now you know your problem so you can formulate a solution. Maybe you can sell your current soundcard and purchase a new one with sub-out. I still think that will be your cheapest option. Maybe someone can comment on the suitability of that 2.1 amp I mentioned above. Might be a reasonable option if you are interested in building a cheap sub as well....

as far as buying that 2.1 amp, i am not really interested in pouring that much more money into this, but i can definately see where u are coming from since i am having all these problems...

my thinking is, i have a stupid sub, and if i just had the right soundcard this would all go away....i guess i could sell my soundcard, but thats just more ebay stuff i gotta go thru....and then theres buying a new one...and installing it...but i guess its all worth it in the end right? cuz problem would be solved...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.