Question on replacing faulty amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all

I'm hoping someone can help here because there is nothing on the laney website.

I WAS trying to repair an Amplifier at a old people's home close to my home. It was originally working fine but just stopped working. Therefore, I took it apart and discovered that it keeps blowing 2 fuses on the PCB. Given the age of the amp i have persuaded the home to buy another amp of similar output/specifications. Below I will list the name and model of this faulty amp that keeps blowing fuses. I would be grateful if somebody could tell me what the output of this Amp is because I'm confused with differing terms. Before I go Any further I must add that this amp was perfectly adequate for the small room it was being used in. So, could somebody please tell me what the output of this amp is and secondly would somebody please check the other Amp at the bottom and verify that the proposed replacement amp is the same power and will do the same job as the faulty amp.
The faulty amp is Laney Theatre 100T X4

We want to replace it with an Amp from Maplin. It is called prosound 4 channel mixer amp. It's stats are:
4 Channel mixer amplifier with two outputs which allow you to connect various passive DJ speakers to achieve the sound you are after
100W power giving clear sound
Input through XLR, 6.35mm (1/4 inch) jack or Phono (RCA) connectors
So, to recap... is this proposed prosound amp as good as the faulty laney amp?

Thanks all in advance.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
When I was a young-folk, we rocked-out on amps much less than this.

That Laney (i know the type, not the model) was fine for non-headbanger work in small to medium clubs. Agree that the Maplin is equivalent or more-modern, get as loud.

Now I am nearer the other end of life, I would beat the young sound-guy who got anywhere near the full 100 Watts of either unit in a residential lounge. Use the Volume knobs! But there's no point looking for the old 30 Watt jobs, I blew them all up long ago.

I would only look into 1/4" jacks, as many piano/organ keyboards use these connectors. If Maplin truly does not sport such jacks, get the adapter to RCA plug. Get two: one to lose and one to use.

Favor: label them "for Joseph Giovanelli". Joe wrote the AudioClinic column for AUDIO magazine for several decades. His life was interesting and long. Last I knew he was in a care-home with his electronic keyboard, and apparently a favorite among the residents and staff for his wisdom and his concerts. It may be "in memory" soon, but "for" will do.

BTW, Joe was blind from birth.

Attachments

• JosephGiovanelli.gif
    JosephGiovanelli.gif
    1.4 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.