Question for musicians.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I love to listen live music, mainly from "Trovadores" (Singers songwriters) Joaquín Sabina, Joan Manuel Serrat, etc.; some jazz band, mainly trios, in youtube. Also I download electronic music (Tiesto, Cattáneo, Digweed, and a long etc.)

I am not a musician, so I don't know how do they feel in a live performance, but to judge by the faces they look when playing, it appears to me that they suffer music over enjoy it.

Which is the true in your case?

Joined 2005
Paid Member
.....well, e.g. :
The 22 Funniest Guitar Playing Faces | Billboard
As far as I'm concerned : Judging by my facial expressions when making music, you'd probably think I hated ALL, -- but I'd bet that's the very moment when I am carried away by sheer joy.
Football-Teamie Jürgen Klopp in comparison is looking nice and relaxed in his worst state of aggression-- compared to me, that is.
And -- no, I definitely won't post a pic of me !(Think of the children!):D
Another one:
What's the Deal with the "Guitar Face"? |

Greez

Siggi

I suffer when I play because I'm not very good and I get frustrated. I envy good musicians and many I have known do suffer but that was mainly whilst learning and practicing, during performance it is mainly concentration as mentioned, because it is a serious business and there is no room for error.

Well, there´s also the showmanship/acting side.
For a relative beginner or unexperienced Artist such as some who posted above (with due respect), yes, it´s reasonable they don´t feel 100% sure about what they are doing, or about the audience reaction, and sincerely may be "suffering", or being ultra concentrated as to play well a difficult part, etc. ; but I have worked for decades with dozens of very professional/famous Artists, who have been doing so successfully for years .... they are very relaxed when setting up sound and rehearsing (no public present, no special clothing or makeup, plain white "rehearsal lighting", etc.) on Friday afternoon and completely mutate into a "larger than life" artist that same Friday night, with 12000 people filling the Stadium.
Are they "cheating" ? ..... no, it´s part of the show, people expects that.
In fact they would feel cheated if they saw same Artist in his everyday clothes, hairdo, acting relaxed or even shy.

It depends a lot on the individual musician and their personality.

If a musician has some degree of stage fright, they will often visualize something in their head during the performance, which often has to do with the music itself, especially if they wrote the piece. Sometimes a guitar player will visualize a string being bent, or a power chord blowing the first row of the audience over. The player is in tune with the music, not the audience.

Other musicians will interact with the audience, talk to, or sing to the audience as one general being. Other times the musician will single out a person and interact with just one individual.

Modern EDM players and DJ's tend to look down at the laptop or MIDI controller that they use, especially if they employ loops that need to be queued up during the song. Live looping (say with Ableton Live) also requires quite a bit of concentration to get right, but the tools are improving all the time, especially the new dedicated guitar loopers.

But if you play in a more or less important orchestra, you need to read music.
My sister is a piano and violin teacher at a local university to grade 8.
She cannot play a tune without a sheet of music.
I teach guitar and keyboards. I can play almost anything from memory or by ear but also was classically trained years ago.
Music is mathematics, you have a total of 11 notes, out of which anything can be made up or played in any order using major and minor chords and scales. There are rules about 3rds, 5ths and 7ths for harmonics, all of which are a natural phenomenon. 9ths and 13ths get more interesting as do diminished scales and chords.
Most of my pupils that are good with music are also good at mathematics. There are a few exceptions. I think there is a link.
Each to their own I say. If we were all good at everything, there would be no need for experts at certain fields.

Of course, same with all Pro/Session Musicians.

In fact it´s required what´s informally called: "first sight reading" meaning they can accurately play any song whose sheet is put on the music stand, with no need for rehearsal.

Of course, it doesn´t hurt going through the full show or at least selected parts a couple hours before actual performance, but I have seen International artists on Tour going straight from Airport (or hotel) to theatre or stadium and all, Artist plus locally hired Pro Musicians give an excellent show.

Long rehearsals week after week? ..... usually not possible.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.