Question about trafo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just checked the trafo again. There are only two tabs on each side where the wires are soldered to. Specs on the box where the trafo was installed state:

JB Research Inc.
AC Adaptor
JBR No. 13315
Model No. APX6636001
Input: 120V AC 60Hz 65W
Output: 12V AC 4170mA
Class 2 Transformer

What a waste of our time.
He had the information but had not bothered to read it.
He had the bulb tester but had not thought it was of any use.
How do we teach these Members to read and understand?
This is a DIY site. Members should take at least some responsibility for carrying out their own research.

What a waste of our time.
He had the information but had not bothered to read it.
He had the bulb tester but had not thought it was of any use.
How do we teach these Members to read and understand?
This is a DIY site. Members should take at least some responsibility for carrying out their own research.

Sorry AndrewT if I have wasted your time but I still do not agree with your statements. You are offering help to other forum members including me and I did put together a working gainclone mostly with your help but I think the problem is that you assume that people know a lot more than they actually do. Sure it is a DIY forum but it is also forum for asking questions, answering them and helping out. A simple question and obvious answer may not be that simple for person with limited knowledge of electronics. Should this person be banned from asking questions? I do not think so.

And going back to my original post, I have stated that I know the parameters of the trafo. The actual core is out of the box with label and wires are cut so I do not know which side is in and which side is out. The question was, what's going to happen if I connect input voltage to output terminals. Will that destroy the trafo or not. With my limited knowledge this was the only way I could think of on how to determine which side is what. That doesn't look like wasting time to me.

Input: 120V AC 60Hz 65W
Output: 12V AC 4170mA

this is easy:
the 120 volt winding will have the higher resistance of the 2
the 12volt winding is the one with exposed magnet wires in your picture..

if you have other questions just ask...

the blue tape covered winding should be your primary:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

the exposed magnet wires are your secondary:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
1.) What a waste of our time.
2.) He had the information but had not bothered to read it.
3.) He had the bulb tester but had not thought it was of any use.
4.) How do we teach these Members to read and understand?
5.) This is a DIY site.
6.) Members should take at least some responsibility for carrying out their own research.
I thought about replying. But I won't.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.