Quantum tunneling volume control and resistors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
PSM Group - Quantum tunnelling metal-polymer composites

SY,

Durham University has one of the most respected physics departments in the country, do you think they would study a material that has been around for years and had no scientific interest? One that you suggest is:

Putting aside all the marketing nonsense, it's plain old conductive rubber.

?

Quantum tunnelling compounds exhibit physical properties that clearly separate them from the 'conductive rubber' materials you were employed to cook up for toys and such..... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
PSM Group - Quantum tunnelling metal-polymer composites

SY,

Durham University has one of the most respected physics departments in the country, do you think they would study a material that has been around for years and had no scientific interest?

Quantum tunnelling compounds exhibit physical properties that clearly separate them from the 'conductive rubber' materials you were employed to cook up for toys and such..... :rolleyes:

Indeed. Bloor is a fine researcher who has done some very interesting and useful work in the past (if memory serves, he was involved in the Durham method of polyacetylene synthesis around the time I was studying segmented versions to determine conductivity dependence on conjugation length). There are some novel twists to his rubber, but at the end of the day, it's a filled conductive rubber. There's no major breakthrough, sorry. It's interesting from a pure physics point of view and they're sure trying to flog it for a business, for which I can hardly blame them.

nickel particles.yes

insulated from each other by silicone,a very ,very good insulator.Surely Quantum tunneling is the only plausible explanation for the measured results. As an aside I must say that to my ears at least quantum tunneled electrons give music a subtle expanded sort of sound.
Bye bye for now.
kind regards Max
ps I do think Peratech's marketing hyperbole is not unreasonable given the unique qualities of their product.

Last edited:
"It's bl++ding obvious in'nit e ad a time machine"

Perhaps Bloor has characterised conduction in plain old conductive rubber as well as the Peratech stuff.Hindsight is a wonderfull thing innit.
An old site I found at "altair.org" about diy quantum tunneling on a kitchen table lead me to"plasmonics" & "plasmon resonance".
I'm thinkin' about Canadian balsam in a new way too.
Regards Max Albin
ps It maybe 50% real,enjoy!

Last edited:
A metal–polymer composite with unusual properties
Authors: D Bloor, K Donnelly, P J Hands, P Laughlin and D Lussey

Electrically conductive composites that contain conductive filler dispersed in an insulating polymer matrix are usually prepared by the vigorous mixing of the components. This affects the structure of the filler particles and thereby the properties of the composite. It is shown that by careful mixing nano-scale features on the surface of the filler particles can be retained. The fillers used possess sharp surface protrusions similar to the tips used in scanning tunnelling microscopy. The electric field strength at these tips is very large and results in field assisted (Fowler–Nordheim) tunnelling. In addition the polymer matrix intimately coats the filler particles and the particles do not come into direct physical contact. This prevents the formation of chains of filler particles in close contact as the filler content increases. In consequence the composite has an extremely high resistance even at filler loadings above the expected percolation threshold. The retention of filler particle morphology and the presence of an insulating polymer layer between them endow the composite with a number of unusual properties. These are presented here together with appropriate physical models.

Rgds
James

On reflection,

Of the totally internal type,"evanescent wave" is probably more germane than the plasmon stuff.
Also found some Feynman stuff at "vega.org.uk"useful non math types(me).
The Michael Kasha lecture was great even if I didn't understand 99% of it.
regards Max Albin

Guess what: carbon black is nano! "Nano" is almost as abused as "all natural" is in food packaging.

Typically, a few different fillers are thrown in to get the pressure/resistivity curve to be the right scale; carbon black for structure factor, metal particles to get the right resistivity. As the particles move closer together under strain, the resistivity drops. It's reversible as long as you don't reach the plastic deformation limit of the rubber.

YES!!! "all natural" curries consumer bucks, and "nano" curries research bucks. Humanity has been doing "nanotechnology" for a long long time. At least as far back as stained glass. SY, can you think of an earlier example? If you really want to go back, you can consider the definition of buckyballs which my grandfather favored; "soot". 100,000 years of nanotech then?

Tade

PS, I think this topic deserves its own thread?

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Still around?

Max, why did you post those ruminations over such a long period?, Were you hoping someone would take up your interest
as a crusade for redeveloping squishy control elements?

One could read yours as an an existential rather than technical quest but given your persistence, perhaps you could take this up
with a fellow researcher or just a friend who is able to formulate some RTV/Carbon graphite or powdered metal blends
and do some real experiments which will more sharply define:
1) The reality of manufacturing electronic parts.
2) The quality. usefulness and cost of practical nanotubes
3) The difference (as Tade suggests) between sugar-coated grabs
for research bucks and serious industry funding.

Industry funding will be more telling as to what promise ideas really offer. Papers like those referred to are to attract attention from
funding bodies, not inform. From an industry point of view, I can understand SYs glib dismissals as one who has been there and done
that at some deep, related level.
There is obviously scientific merit in the concepts you suggest variously but the real question; is it really practicable? - and if so,
would it be a significant improvement on current technology? These stand and so far, it has to be 'no' in reply.

Just stumbled on this thread. Just to throw in my thoughts:

Quantum tunnelling and percolation are not two alternative explanations, but complementary features of the full explanation. QT is the mechanism by which electrons can jump a gap between very close but not touching conductors. Percolation describes their overall path as they wander through the material. Different levels of abstraction. Evanescent waves is really just another way of talking about QT, except that you can also get evanescence in electromagnetic waves too. QT is about evanescent electron waves, not EM.

One possible problem with conductor-loaded insulators is that as well as forming an adjustable resistor, they can also form a dielectric meta-material. The capacitance will vary too. It might not vary proportionally with the resistance, because capacitance varies as 1/distance but QT varies like exp(-distance)?

I vaguely remember David Bloor. He was a (senior?) lecturer at Queen Mary when I was an undergraduate there.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.