Quan-Tech 5173 Advice?

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Assembly details for the opamp PCB's. I did not have 90 Ohm resistors so 1K in parallel with 100 Ohms was the quick fix.

Also note the wire making up for the missing trace on the dual board.

I'll share the JCB files once I figure out how.

Attachments

• Dual Opamp assembly detail.PNG
    Dual Opamp assembly detail.PNG
    888 KB · Views: 118
  • Quad Opamp assembly detail.PNG
    Quad Opamp assembly detail.PNG
    970.4 KB · Views: 114
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I need some input- which dual transistors /JFETs do people actually use?

There are two bipolar footprints for TO-78 cans on JFet footprint and then you find dip packages for some of these. Which should I provide for?

I will currently set up for JFET in DIP and Jfet in to78 since I use both. Its the bipolars I'm not sure about.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I am providing tfor the NPD5566 type and the 2N5566 TO-78. Not an issue and that seems common for the larger dual Jfet packages. The dual bipolars are quite different with two pinouts for the TO-78 type packages and then all the other variants. Maybe just an adapter for dual Jfets and a second variation for bipolars with room for other stuff?

Any good leads for SOT test sockets?

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Where did you source those? I found these: Free shipping new test program holder SOT23 3L SOT23 test socket|socket test|socket msocket holder - AliExpress and these: https://www.amazon.com/ALLPARTZ-Wav...3+socket&qid=1617317234&s=electronics&sr=1-11 But at $20+ per I don't want to just buy any example. Plus managing pinouts will need some thought here. The socket on Amazon looks promising but I need a second opinion that it would fit the transistors we would be interested in. At least returning an Amazon part is easy.

New to the forum so please be kind if I make a miss-step. My company has a Quan Tech 5173 and we use it to measure the NF for our transistors. We need repair and calibration of the unit. Having difficulty finding a certified company that can do both. Any recommendations?

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Quan-tech has not been an active company for many years. Is your unit working? If so the manual has a good discussion on calibration. There is a simple self check process that uses a low noise FET to verify its working right. Full calibration is pretty specialized and you need a white noise generator with a known output. The GR generators are fine except the calibration is not directly transferable to what QT needs. The QT noise sources are quite rare.

I have been through the process. However I don't know of any certified labs that are set up to calibrate or adjust one. And it will be expensive. Unfortunately I do not know of any current instrument that could substitute for a 5173.