Quality of sound at low volume

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, I have not yet picked up a wall wart, but with batteries I don't hear a huge difference between my receiver and the Sonic Impact. Maybe my ears are broken, but I've never actually heard the "huge" differences between amps so I'm not overly surprised.

Anyways, I've been looking at some of the speakers and designs referenced on this forum and need some help.

I started reading through some of the open baffle threads and after getting it through my head that open baffle really did mean plank mounted, I thought it would be fun to try. I decided the B200's were the choice and all was well - until I found out those drivers are close to $600 a pr. Back to the drawing board. See I'm brand new to this and I'm not willing to plunk down that much money without being able to hear the sonic improvement - especially after buying my last speakers. I want something I can do relatively inexpensive, test and really see some improvement over standard 2-way monitors. In thinking about this, the following questions have come to mind.

1) With OB speakers, is their bottom end such that woofers are needed for bass or can they properly be crossed over to a subwoofer with no intermediary woofers?

2) Are there designs other than OB that provide near OB sound quality but are more resistant to a prying 1.5 year olds fingers? I would hate to find my daughter (especially as she gets older) with her finger through the surrounds.

3) Can you recommend much less expensive full-range speakers to the B200's for this project?

4) Any advice in general about the best ways to work into quality sound for the newcomer would be listened to. I understand it is a bit of a catch-22 - I don't want to outlay much money until I know that it a wise expenditure for the return vs cheap parts often equals cheap sound.

Thanks

mrpopgun said:
Well, I have not yet picked up a wall wart, but with batteries I don't hear a huge difference between my receiver and the Sonic Impact. Maybe my ears are broken, but I've never actually heard the "huge" differences between amps so I'm not overly surprised.

Anyways, I've been looking at some of the speakers and designs referenced on this forum and need some help.

I started reading through some of the open baffle threads and after getting it through my head that open baffle really did mean plank mounted, I thought it would be fun to try. I decided the B200's were the choice and all was well - until I found out those drivers are close to $600 a pr. Back to the drawing board. See I'm brand new to this and I'm not willing to plunk down that much money without being able to hear the sonic improvement - especially after buying my last speakers. I want something I can do relatively inexpensive, test and really see some improvement over standard 2-way monitors. In thinking about this, the following questions have come to mind.

1) With OB speakers, is their bottom end such that woofers are needed for bass or can they properly be crossed over to a subwoofer with no intermediary woofers?

2) Are there designs other than OB that provide near OB sound quality but are more resistant to a prying 1.5 year olds fingers? I would hate to find my daughter (especially as she gets older) with her finger through the surrounds.

3) Can you recommend much less expensive full-range speakers to the B200's for this project?

4) Any advice in general about the best ways to work into quality sound for the newcomer would be listened to. I understand it is a bit of a catch-22 - I don't want to outlay much money until I know that it a wise expenditure for the return vs cheap parts often equals cheap sound.

Thanks

The most essential aspect of low wound quality is the cone material assuming that other parts of drivers are optimized. For wide rage drivers, the Jordan drivers excel in this aspect, the lower priced such as TB Titainum drivers do well too with slightly less resolution. If you go to two way systems, things are a little complicated, metlaized foil tweeters (they still call these ribbons) have VERY good detail if the response reaches 40K or so, I would still recommend metal cone for the bass driver if you can find a suitable one.

If the drivers are not well selected, no mater what type of enclosure you use will not get you the low level detail.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.