Quality of reference voltage in a cascode

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So, made some more tests.
Don't trust too much on the shunt being better than the batterie. Its close, and maybe more dependend on how the test wiring lies accidentilly on the desk.

I tried now with the borbely-style FET regulator (fed by lead batterie) and it's again close. (But clearly better than the batterie without regulation. )

Time to check how a bank of caps would perform here.

Would a coil be worth trying or would the inductance screw things up?

Rüdiger

Hi,
Q1. what are your thoughts on the relative performance of zener, tl431, zener&transistor when used as the voltage reference to the cascode base?

Following a discussion on the Leach thread.
Q2. Where should the ground reference go? To signal ground or to power ground.

Q3. If a resistor string was used for voltage reference, is the answer the same when changed to a regulator/zener?

Q4. What if the resistor string has some decoupling in the supply feed. Where should the decoupling go? to power ground?

Hi Andrew,
zener, 431, zener & transistor:
this time, I try to avoid 'thinking'. I did not try the things you mentioned.

I'm not sure which Leach thread you're referring to.

Which ground to choose? Well, admittedly, I never thought about that. In my momentary test-version, I connect it to the central star ground, where psu- and audioground meet. At least for decoupling it seems to make perfect sense. With a ccs'ed diff-pair (balanced audio processing) there is not much 'audioground' in the first stage. It consists of the resistors to ground at gates of the input pair, these are immidiatly connected to the central star ground.

the basis of my tests is
la Bohème
which I have breadboarded and am now playing with.

Rüdiger

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.