Quad type bipolar PS for AlephJ

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
But your 48V battery bank is made from (4) 12V batteries in series... You could make a virtual ground in-between the two center batteries and you're done. Ground is relative.
Actually I have (24) 2V batteries, but your point is well made, it would be easy to tap the mid point. One issue: the Neg terminal of the first battery is connected to Earth ground via a 4' copper rod driven into the ground. This rod is also the Earth ground for the AC side of the house. As long as I stick with "double insulated" - i.e. no third prong - equipment for the source, I guess I would be OK. Nothing in the entire HiFi system would need to be referred to Earth. At this point, it looks like my primary source will be a Raspberry Pi with an I2S DAC configured as a music server. The power supply for this is SMPS which is isolated from Earth (at least there is no third prong and I assume the output is isolated from the 'neutral' side of the input). Even if I build a linear supply, the transformer will isolate 'ground', correct? If NOTHING is referred to Earth ground, then taking power from 0V, 24V, 48V should be fine for -24, 0, +24. All I need is a couple of big caps (say 20,000uF) and I have a "power supply" suitable for my Aleph J, correct? I will use the Salas BiB boards from the same source to power the preamp and XO.
Does anyone see a problem with pulling a couple amps off the +24V side to power the Pi (using, for example, a LM338)? The battery bank is so huge, it will never notice the difference. Would the amp? Take it off before or after the big caps? (Probably before, I think) This is beginning to sound do-able. I can't wait to get back to Panama to do it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.