QUAD 63 (and later) Delay Line Inductors

@stokessd
OMG Sheldon, now you disillusion all those xx05 and xx12 owners who are convinced that their models are far better than the OLD 63's.
Look at the Quad website and read about all the improvements made. :ROFLMAO: And don't forget the infamous 2812X model that was displayed at the 2023 Capitol Audio Fest. You disappoint a lot of people here, but I fully agree.

It's rather reassuring that the present four-panel electrostatic loudspeakers of QUAD have essentially the same design as the ESL 63. Peter Walker knew exactly what he was doing and worked 18 years on the ESL 63, it's nice to know QUAD didn't mess it up after his retirement.

Reactions: 1 users
Is there any difference in the tendency to fall over when a cat jumps off a loudspeaker?
1706998514285.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Reviving again with a question on the HV bias.

First the situation with the step-up xformer and my direct drive amp. Output on the stators with no signal is 0VDC, and the bias voltage on the diaphragm is ~+5kVDC give or take, or who you ask.

The new direct drive amp I am working on for double the output voltage will most probably have a no-signal output to the stators of 2kVDC.
Don't ask - all will be revealed in the fullness of time :cool:
Can I change the bias to -3kVDC to still have the same sensitivity etc as in the old situation?

Jan

Reactions: 1 user
Reviving again with a question on the HV bias.

First the situation with the step-up xformer and my direct drive amp. Output on the stators with no signal is 0VDC, and the bias voltage on the diaphragm is ~+5kVDC give or take, or who you ask.

The new direct drive amp I am working on for double the output voltage will most probably have a no-signal output to the stators of 2kVDC.
Don't ask - all will be revealed in the fullness of time :cool:
Can I change the bias to -3kVDC to still have the same sensitivity etc as in the old situation?

Jan
What kind of amplifier are you making with 2 kilovolts of output voltage, is it one kilovolt per stator or 2 kilovolts per stator voltage swing?
Is this a transistor amplifier or a tube amplifier, if transistor, what transistors do you use?
Is there a thread about this here on the forum?