QUAD 405 clone

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
So the whole idea of large caps is wrong do you think

It always depends on the application. Low power opamp circuitry needs a stable noise free rail. There are no high current load transients that need consideration, you have essentially a constant current draw on the opamp rails in the Quad. There is no need for lots of capacitance and in some cases it can do more harm than good.

What exactly is the problem that you think 'needs to be addressed'?

This is exactly the point :)

You have to have a goal of what aspect are you trying to improve? If the rail is stable and has low measured noise (you need a wideband scope to look and check the noise) then adding caps will not change anything. In some cases, it might cause other unwanted effects. Every case is unique.

Reactions: 1 user
To me it looks like the ones highlighted in red, they are 3k3 in the original circuit. There is an additional 3k3 shown in green, but this looks like it is the one in parallel with the 330pF capacitor, so not the opamp supplies.

1667815992024.png

Not sure, thought a larger cap may give lower esr
Why do you think you need lower ESR at the opamp?

higher ripple current rating,
Why do you think you need higher ripple current rating at the opamp?
it may store more energy if needed in case of a big bass hit,
Why do you think the opamp will run out of current on a big bass hit? and how will a larger capacitor across the rails accomplish that?
or may act like a local power supply for the boards to pull on and provide b
The capacitor we are dsicussing isn't for the whole PCB. Only for the opamp. Its purpose is to couple the DC rails to each other to eliminate opamp oscillations. It has nothing to do with any of the purposes you mention.

Why do you think you need lower ESR at the opamp?

Why do you think you need higher ripple current rating at the opamp?

Why do you think the opamp will run out of current on a big bass hit? and how will a larger capacitor across the rails accomplish that?

The capacitor we are dsicussing isn't for the whole PCB. Only for the opamp. Its purpose is to couple the DC rails to each other to eliminate opamp oscillations. It has nothing to do with any of the purposes you mention.

Thanks. No, i am talking about the amp boards in that instance, not the op-amp

To me it looks like the ones highlighted in red, they are 3k3 in the original circuit. There is an additional 3k3 shown in green, but this looks like it is the one in parallel with the 330pF capacitor, so not the opamp supplies.

View attachment 1107051

Thanks! Is the zener diode 12 volt?
Mooly said to calculate the current : " If you have a 50 volt rail, a 2k7 resistor and a 12 volt Zener you have 14 milliamps available calculated as (50-12)/2700 "

In this case, if the zener diode is 12 volt, the resistor is 3300 ohms, the supply voltage in this case is +/- 40 volts, then that makes ( 40-12 ) / 3300, so the current should be 8ma

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
If you want to use an opamp that pulls 14ma with 40 volt supplies then you need to drop the resistors to 1.2k 1 metal films. Those will run quite hot dissipating around 650 milliwatts each. 1.2k gives you 23 milliamps which allows 9 milliamps for the Zener.

If you want to use an opamp that pulls 14ma with 40 volt supplies then you need to drop the resistors to 1.2k 1 metal films. Those will run quite hot dissipating around 650 milliwatts each. 1.2k gives you 23 milliamps which allows 9 milliamps for the Zener.
Thanks! Where are the resistors? I can't see 2.7k ohms on the circuit diagram. Can you please mark on the photo below.

quaad.jpg

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Pin 4 and pin 7 should have direct continuity to one end of the resistor and also the Zener. That means it should read zero ohms. For example in this diagram pin 7 should have direct continuity to one end of the Zener D1 and one end of the resistor R7.

Screenshot 2022-11-08 074714.jpg

So op-amp rolling with the opa1641 definetly improves sound quality?
I don't have a OPA1641 on hand but last weekend played again and in my setup I can say that:
LME49710HA- plays very vivid and lively like a real concert
OPA604 - more laid back and pleasant, works nice with jazz and voices

My Quad405 clone is a heavily modified ebay module. (I posted here some time a go)