QA-550 SD card 16/44.1 WAV transport

Ronnie - yes.

Fred = no dac. this is digital only. Look at the back - it's only digital
qa660_4.jpg

Way too expensive for what it is. It's US$400 on Taobao

ǬÁúÊ¢QLS QA660 ĸ´ø¼¶Êý×ÖתÅÌ ·¢ÉÕHIFI ²¥·ÅÆ÷ 24bit/192K-ÌÔ±¦Íø

IMO you'll do better to buy a netbook and a cm6631a usb card.

Last edited:
QA-660 vs netbook

IMO you'll do better to buy a netbook and a cm6631a usb card.

The rational (from qlshifi website)

2.Why HiFi players do not like multi-task operating systems(Linux, Windows etc.)?

All the modern operating systems are designed for time-sharing and multi-tasks by implementing process scheduling and interrupt scheduling. In order to access the hardware at the very bottom, all the applications have to queue up under the control of the two level scheduling. Most of the operating systems use 100Hz tick rate so it takes at least 10ms for any programs to get scheduled. Moreover, due to large amount of programs running in the system, the audio interruption normally running in lower priority than network interruption and display/video interruption. All the programs in the scheduling queues are managed by the priority level, programs marked at higher priority level can interrupt the programs at lower priority level anytime even the low priority program is running, whenever there is a call from the higher priority programs, the low priority programs hold and wait as long as the higher priority programs completed. As a result the audio programs produce huge amount of jitters when the operating system holds the audio programs, and let the higher priority level programs such as network and display programs running. This is the major reason that CDP is always far better than PC-HiFi.

Any digital music player developed under a linux or whatever else multi-tasks operating system should be seen as a mini PC-HiFi.

As you can see a lot of HiFi USB DACs use big memory buffer to cache couple of seconds audio data in the design even with asynchronous USB interface. This fact is the evidence that the designers of those USB DACs do not trust the real time audio data flow handling by the operating system.

Perhaps this is just mumbo-jumbo marketing BS. What I do know is that after modifying the QA-550 with a new clock and Paul Hynes shunts, the QA-660 beats it out of the box. Not to mention the large OLED display, dual clocks, mp3/flac capability (albeit at limited rate) and 24/192 wav. No amount of DIY (at least for me) would get the QA550 to that level.

Asynch USB does not have this problems.

"CDP is always far better than PC-HiFi" = not correct.

You can do fft test on QA output ? How much period jitter, phase noise, etc ? I am very interested in results. Opinions usually are new is better, so tests results are very important.

Has the QA have sata for ssd ? hdd ?

how do you connect via I2S TDA1541A and QLS QA550?
i have both devices and solder 4 wires from qls qa550 board to 1,2,3 and 5 (gnd) pins on tda1541a but i don't hear normal sound - only on highest volume level i hear music with many noises. so it's not direct connection? i connect ESI Juli@ by 4 wires tomy tda1541a and its work perfect! what's wrong now with QLS QA550?

Why did you not give it an e-SATA port?

That would make so much sense to me. My flac library is 500gb and growing. A external drive interface would make this so incredibly expandable. An Ethernet interface with a rest api would let me control it via my cell phone or tablet which would make this so much better... For now I'm stuck with foobar as I really don't think the external player semantic works well with the storage limits.

I'd love to get diyAudio community engaged with a manufacturer to get the requirements right....

i have both devices and solder 4 wires from qls qa550 board to 1,2,3 and 5 (gnd) pins on tda1541a but i don't hear normal sound - only on highest volume level i hear music with many noises. so it's not direct connection? i connect ESI Juli@ by 4 wires tomy tda1541a and its work perfect! what's wrong now with QLS QA550?

I2S should have 4 signals : MCK,BCK,LRCK,DATA with GND ?

Hi,
it seems not so simple, I am not an expert but have a look at my DAC schematics/abstract/
Cheers,
Ignat

Attachments

• I2S.jpg
    I2S.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 428
Bigger LCD need firmware mod. Unless you just change LCD with bigger one and same character.

I refer to this post on this thread www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-sou...ard-16-44-1-wav-transport-30.html#post3162491 , i have pm/email him but no response.

there is also another blog with different lcd, tried to contact this guy on tweeter but no reply yet. https://myl8test.wordpress.com/audio/qls-qa-550-sd-card-wav-file-player/

I also have contacted clark (qls contact person) but the answer is no any bigger lcd

it seems that this product no longer imported by kk anymore, i got lucky that my friend let me buy his player. I've just replaced the clock to tentlabs, change some caps, remove optical out, change coax to bnc, and lastly use separate regulator using LT1085

Attachments

• IMG_20150613_232136_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150613_232136_HDR.jpg
    516.6 KB · Views: 361
Present state of one of my QA550's:

Shunt-regs from -EC Designs- on clock and main receiver chip supplies, the last one in series from a Teddyreg.
I am waiting for a better quality clock.

Guys, put good discrete regulators: it is worthwhile. :cool:

Best regards,
M.

that's fugly :D

I just tested using 16x2 lcd, bought it from arduino community, it's cheap and have backlitgh, but the char displayed is only 8x2, i'm emailing clark from qls if any other firmware can be used to display more char.

I just find a proper case for this player, only need to make a custom faceplate, maybe using hardwood. original one is 10mm thickness, impossible for handrill

Attachments

• IMG_20150621_124129_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150621_124129_HDR.jpg
    658.5 KB · Views: 322
  • IMG_20150621_124456_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150621_124456_HDR.jpg
    516.1 KB · Views: 306
that's fugly

Yeah, I'm dirty to work... :(

Yours is lovely.
Consider using the I2S out directly to a DAC and upgrading regulators.

My secret weapon for digital sounding analog, which make the skeptics laugh, is Dammar varnish enriched with graphite powder applied to the receiver and DAC chips. Almost free tweak :cool:

I have to revarnish this unit.

Good luck.
M.

Consider using the I2S out directly to a DAC and upgrading regulators.

My diy AD1865 dac only accept BNC input, while upgrading regulators will not come in any short time, still have other diy projects to come

good news for anyone who is interested to get more text, Clark just sent me a dedicated firmware for 16x2 display (firmware name has suffix 1602) and it works. However some differences compared to original firmware on how items are ordered, which you may like or dislike.

I also asked clark if any firmware for bigger display, maybe 32 or 64 char

Attachments

• IMG_20150623_204819_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150623_204819_HDR.jpg
    338.7 KB · Views: 198
  • Updata04_1602.zip
    13.3 KB · Views: 112