PWM for car choke?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

GK

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Hi John

The 2.25's fuel economy should be better with the DCOE's and 2.25" exhaust - less restriction overall and superior fuel metering.
I don't see the mild power increase putting any excessive strain on the 3 bearing crank. I'm guessing maybe a ~15% increase in peak hp and moderately improved spread of torque shifted a little higher into the rpm band.

Cheers,
Glen

man if i had the money i wouldn't mind getting car that does 150mph!!

sadly, my choke is still giving me problems.....

i found out that the carb body doesn't get hot (or warm) so my theory with the metal platekeeping the spring hot didn't work - in fact i think it acted as a heatsink and cooled the spring down faster! i will have to try it without the plate again.

one thing i cant get the car to do is idle when it first starts, even if i turn the spring WAY forward, and set the fast idle as much as i want, it always starts, revs high for about 2 seconds, then cuts out. i have to use the throttle for about a minute before it idle's.

i am hoping this is the start of my problems - 'cos i have tried everything with the choke.

ok i maybe might have found the problem.

i searched some more on the internet and found out that the car may be stalling when cold because the vacuum opens the butterfly too much. i checked it out and saw that the linkage was bent - so i straightened it up and it seemed to idle better.

i really really really hope this was the problem. we will see......

John, i think i got it working!!!!

the car sat outside last night, i started it this morning and it didn't cut out - and it is idling smoothly at about 1000 rpm. last night it was also running nice when it was cold.

so it turns out it was a tiny piece of metal that caused all this trouble. i bet a mechanic bent it as a quick fix :redhot:

PS: the coolant doesn't come near the carb

Dan2

No worries, it was you that found the bent linkage in any case. It's a long time since I had anything to do with carbs, everythings been injected in the UK for many years now.

G.Kleinschmidt

Looking at a thing called a Megasquirt for a mate. It's a DIY stand alone mappable engine management setup that was developed in an open source style over the internet.

http://www.megasquirt.info/

Injected two and a quarter anyone?

John

GK

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
john blackburn said:
G.Kleinschmidt

Looking at a thing called a Megasquirt for a mate. It's a DIY stand alone mappable engine management setup that was developed in an open source style over the internet.

http://www.megasquirt.info/

Injected two and a quarter anyone?

John

Hi John

I saw the thread you started on this topic, but I can't really offer any advice as my experience with fuel injection is zippo.
It's all Webers and high performance LPG throttle bodies in by home garage!

Cheers,
Glen

It's going to have to be very well researched!

Theres a 2.1 Zetec thats just been fitted for a bloke who bought a chipped ECU and Turbo for his EFI converted XR3. The seller filled him with bull about his purchase but seems less keen to talk to him now, it took less than 30 miles to melt two of his pistons. Still, hes got a Zetec now and a lighter wallet, that will help his quarter mile times.

It looks easy enough to assemble the Meqasquirt, it could be the mapping that proves to be the awkward part. I reckon so long as we keep it stoichiometric we shouldnt go too far wrong.

The Zetec owners not a very scary man at all, but the owner of the Honda is another matter! Zetec first I think.

What do you use the LPG on?

John

GK

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
john blackburn said:
What do you use the LPG on?

John

Hi John

Everything except the Landrover!
LPG is very common over here. You can fill up with LPG at probably 90% of service stations and the government contributes $2000 to your conversion costs as part of an environmental initiative.

I use Gas Research Australia throttle bodies made here in OZ by this mob:

http://www.gasresearch.com.au/

Pictured below is my 383 stroker that I put together for my daily hack with a pair fitted, with twin converters (one convertor is only good for 300hp) . These throttle bodies are pretty much a Weber for LPG, with separately tunable idle, progression and main metering circuits.

I’m putting one of these on my L28 260Z engine as well. I’m retaining the triple weber manifold (which has been match ported to the fully ported head) and fabricating a rectangular box plenum to bolt up where the triple DCOE’s uses to sit, to accept a single GRA throttle body. Should make only marginally less power than the Webers did.

Cheers,
Glen

Attachments

• finito2.jpg
    finito2.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 77
Hi Glen

I like the idea of "only 300HP" on LPG. Its something I have had nothing to do with, I sorted a bad earth out on a gas solenoid for a bloke and thats been my total LPG experience. It's getting a bit more common in Blighty but they are probably about due to tax the guts out of it.

A few years ago the government said they would peg the tax on LPG for a while as an incentive to get folks to buy the conversions. Now people are used to using it and have laid out the £1000+ for the conversion I reckon it will start to rise in price the same way as all other fuels are doing here. £1.16 per litre for unleaded.......

Thats a startlingly clean engine bay for something described as an everyday hack, and 6 litres+ isnt everyday either!

John

GK

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Hey John, how much do you know about fuel atomisation?

I’m probably being a bit paranoid, but I’m slightly worried about fuel drop-out in a intake manifold design I’ve come up with.

I’ve made a few measurements and come to the conclusion that the body work modifications to make the DCOE’s sit next to the head are more than I’d like. I would have to hack up the bulkhead, which is already painted.

I’ve decided to make an intake manifold with U-shaped (rotate that U ninety degrees anticlockwise :) ) runners so that the twin DCOE’s sit above the rocker cover. The 2.25 litre sits a fair bit below the bonnet, so there is plenty of room for them to sit there.

As a bonus this manifold will be easy to manufacture. The intake ports in the head are round with a diameter of 38mm. A can get four lengths of steel pipe with an internal diameter of 38mm mandrel bent into the required U shape by an engineering shop. To mate to the 45mm Weber bores, a flaring of only 7mm will be required. A can easily make a cone shaped wooden dolly to shape the flare, hammered into the end of the pipe after heating the pipe with the oxy acetylene.

I’ve attached a lame drawing of the idea below.

My only concern of for the possibility that the turbulence won’t be great enough for the fuel to stay entirely atomised on its way around the bend, causing a small amount of raw petrol to dribble into the intake ports.

What do you reckon?

Cheers,
Glen

EDIT: And yes I know the carbs will need to be unbolted each time a tappet adjustment is due, but that doesn't bother me.

Attachments

• weber.gif
    weber.gif
    5.9 KB · Views: 55
It would be a crime to hack that bulkhead about, it's smashing.

The tubes should be thin walled enough to heat up fairly quickly so hopefully you shouldn't have much of a problem. Would it be worth getting the insides of the tubes sandblasted? It should give a bit of turbulence in the manifold though I can't decide if it would make matters better or worse.

I will consult with my guru, I'm going round to see him this afternoon. He's bought an assembled Megasquirt from a geezer on Ebay so we are having a play with that today. They look to be a very versatile device, there are loads of adjustments with which to bugger the job up completely!

Tappet adjustment? I've known engines to rattle like a weaving shed for a decade or so before having the rocker cover prised off it, mostly mine.

John

GK

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
john blackburn said:
It would be a crime to hack that bulkhead about, it's smashing.

The tubes should be thin walled enough to heat up fairly quickly so hopefully you shouldn't have much of a problem. Would it be worth getting the insides of the tubes sandblasted? It should give a bit of turbulence in the manifold though I can't decide if it would make matters better or worse.

I will consult with my guru, I'm going round to see him this afternoon. He's bought an assembled Megasquirt from a geezer on Ebay so we are having a play with that today. They look to be a very versatile device, there are loads of adjustments with which to bugger the job up completely!

Tappet adjustment? I've known engines to rattle like a weaving shed for a decade or so before having the rocker cover prised off it, mostly mine.

John

Thanks John. I wore my knuckles to the bone getting that bulkhead back to bare metal! Not to mention the upper torso and facial acupuncture from the wire strands constantly flying off the twist knot wire brushes.

Any way, sand blasting is a good idea. The fab shop that I’ll get to do the bending and flange machining has a sandblasting box, so that won’t be a problem.

Good luck with the Megasquirt.

Tappet noise - some of the worst running cars I’ve seen have been owned by mechanics. I think it’s an unwritten rule or something.

Cheers,
Glen

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.