Push - push subwoofer spacing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As for positioning the sub it will be placed against the side-wall with woofers firing towards & from the main speakers.
I currently have TL subs (two of them) & found they integrate with the mains & room best when pointed in that direction.
Andrew.

Hey, Planet10, excellent drawing. If you imagine the same idea just with the magnets glued to eachother and to one center brace in each cabinet section that's basically the construction I've used in my boombox (linked to in sig).

Now, as for sensitivity gain of magnet-to-magnet construction, I've found that 2 basic rules apply:

1) the bigger the magnets are the more gain you get. I suppose it's because the magnetic flux is greater and therefore the magnet will affect eachother more.

2) the simpler (cheaper) the design of the drivers are the more gain you get. I suppose this is because more advanced designs are already optimized for getting the best out of the magnets.

So big and simple. Just the way I like it.

I my boombox I found that sensitivity was improved by between 0.5 and 1 db/w/m per driver depending on frequency. Lowest gain was in the 300-1000 Hz frequency range but I guess that's because the box was much more rigid than the test box with only one driver installed, and therefore not "singing" as much.

Now there's just one little overlooked, but very important benefit of the magnet-to-magnet design. If you glue the magnets together in the center, and to the center brace, the drivers themselves will act as a very effective bracing of the baffles making them almost completely solid. And that's even if you don't use very thick material for the baffles. The center brace will almost completely eliminate vibrations in the other 4 walls. All in all, a very simple and effective design.

Can someone please explain the theory behind Push-Push to me in simple terms?
Do both drivers move in the same direction at the same time or move in opposition to one another?
Are they wired out of phase?

Sorry for raising a long dead thread . . . and for asking what is probably an INCREDIBLY basic question with obvious answers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.