purely resistive crossovers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You have to love this quote from their site:
Sonicweld is and always has been a research and development-oriented company; therefore, we reserve the right make changes, improvements, or upgrades to models without prior notice.

So in other words, Sonicweld used to be a company that did research and it is left in the open what they are now. Their past role in business is precisely the reason why they leave the possiblity open for changes to the mystery design, or upgrades to the $40K model and other fictional models, without telling you first. Just read it enough times and it makes perfect sense. :cannotbe:

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
By Sonicweld:
Sonicweld is and always has been a research and development-oriented company; therefore, we reserve the right make changes, improvements, or upgrades to models without prior notice.

Hans L said:
So in other words, Sonicweld used to be a company that did research and it is left in the open what they are now. Their past role in business is precisely the reason why they leave the possiblity open for changes to the mystery design, or upgrades to the $40K model and other fictional models, without telling you first. Just read it enough times and it makes perfect sense. :cannotbe:

I don't interpret "a research and develpment oriented company" as meaning they didn't produce anything. I think it means the company is trying to say that they spend a lot of time or research and development on a product before they put it into production, (whether they do or not is up the customer to decide). They are also trying to give the impression that any changes in the production run are likely due to the company improving their product, as opposed to changes made because similar parts become available at better prices.

By "fictional", are you saying that the $40,000 model is not in production, or even anywhere near ready for production?

I don't know if it is or not, but to me the passage you quoted is just the garden variety disclaimer which says that the manufacturer can change something during the production run of the model without taking extraordinary pains to spell it out to the customer.

Without that, if Sonicweld switched from say, one brand of capacitor to another brand, same value, they would have to notify each customer of the change, or possibly be open to a lawsuit from a customer or even some state agency for passing off merchandise different from what they advertise.

"The Timpanogos"

"Mains Characteristics: Impedance: 4.25 ohms, variation of +/- 1 ohm from 10Hz to 30KHz"

If the 4.25 ohm impedance is within +/- 1 ohm, there's obviously some kind of capacitive or inductive reactance ... and lots of it!

Sounds like PR BS for those with more money than they can manage to squander elsewhere.

Bill Fitzpatrick said:
I didn't mean to suggest that they put a resistor across the input.

All I'm saying is that meeting their impedance spec is not that difficult. Zobels and impedance correcting networks followed by some well placed resistors to take up the slack would do the job.

Bill,

We're singing out of the same songbook.

"The Sonicweld crossover acts as almost a purely resistive load."

Their crossover isn't almost a purely resistive load if it's +/- 1 ohm on a 4.25 ohm system!

I believe their claim to be a pure load of crap. It's fun to discuss nonetheless.

kelticwizard said:
I don't know if it is or not, but to me the passage you quoted is just the garden variety disclaimer which says that the manufacturer can change something during the production run of the model without taking extraordinary pains to spell it out to the customer.
I'm sure you can deduct some sort of legal disclaimer from it, but the use of language, particularly the causality is incorrect, which I thought was mildly amusing. Didn't need a serious answer really.

Funny, I have posted a few serious questions elsewhere on this board (amps) which are welcomed with an eardeafening silence. I make an unimportant remark about someones website content and I'm rewarded with a deadserious explenation...:rolleyes:

"The Sonicweld crossover acts as almost a purely resistive load. Sonicweld speakers typically measure flat within ± .5 ohm to beyond their operating bandwidth... which is of particular benefit to tube amplifier owners."

They are implying this is something new? Plenty of speakers have impedance compensation.

"... Every conventional loudspeaker crossover uses reactive components (capacitors and inductors) in the signal path. "

Careful wording here to imply something when in fact they aren't saying anything. Plenty of speakers don't have "conventional" crossovers"

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Sonicweld: said:
"The Sonicweld crossover acts as almost a purely resistive load. Sonicweld speakers typically measure flat within ± .5 ohm to beyond their operating bandwidth... which is of particular benefit to tube amplifier owners."

merlinx76 said:
They are implying this is something new? Plenty of speakers have impedance compensation.

The impedance compensation is applied to each individual driver to make the driver itself act like resistive load for the reactive elements, (caps and inductors, and perhaps the enclosure itself) that act upon the driver.

However, nobody normally claims the speaker system itself-drivers plus crossover plus (maybe) enclosure, is resistive, measured as a whole unit.

Sonicweld: said:
"... Every conventional loudspeaker crossover uses reactive components (capacitors and inductors) in the signal path. "
]

merlinx76 said:
Careful wording here to imply something when in fact they aren't saying anything. Plenty of speakers don't have "conventional" crossovers"

Yes, like every full range in existence. :)

However, I don't think they are saying that every conventional speaker uses reactive components except them. They are saying that if the speaker uses the conventional passive crossover, they will have reactive components in the signal path. There is a difference.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.