Pure Digital amplifier modules?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Specs

We are in the .015% THD range at higher power levels. However at lower power levels, the THD does rise because you are using fewer bits for the signal. However, it does not risa as fats as expected as the H-Bridge output and their proprietary DSP seems to take care of a lot of what used to be digital artifacts.

I am getting total silence from the speakers when there is no signal. About 100db S/N. I have not measured IM even though the Audio Precision on my bench can do this. I'll give it a try in a few days when I build the next round of prototypes.

I have concentrated most on listening tests on the unit as that is where the rubber hits the road. The sound is not in Mark Levenson territory. About the range of good (Mission, Pass, etc., ) 70s and 80s analog in my opinion.

Quite decent. Very listenable but not the ultimate. At low levels the ICE Power and Hypex have a little less grit.

JohnW said:
The D2 modules are aim squarely at the consumer audio market – despite the big play about THX ultra approval – this means nothing. The D2 modules have some very impressive front end control software – allows you to implement your own cross-over etc. If I where in the business of manufacturing higher-end “all in one” home cinema systems I would be taking a VERY series look at D2.

John

Hello John

Can you tell me what consumer product has a good implementation of the D2 technology apart from the Harmon Kardon stuff.

Regards
Arthur

dmfraser said:
I have sent a message to my inside contact at D2Audio to see if they have a seller for single unit quantities.

I will report if I hear anything.

Please let us know when you hear from D2, it would great if we could start experimenting with these!

Originally posted by tiroth
I'm definitely interested. In fact, I can tell you right now I would put cash down at the prices I was given in the fall if it was possible to get them. The dev kits are just way too expensive for me though.

Are the Devkits different in some way?

D2 Audio THD and IMD numbers

I measured .05% THD+N with an 8 ohm load with the XS-100 9 x 100W module with 25W output. IMD was about 0.1% 60/2000 Hz 4:1 with the same load. A-weighted in both cases.

THD+N drops to about .02% with no load. This is a result of the unit being a non-feedback design.

This was operating with s Skynet SNP30 power supply.

Dan

D2Audio

The Dev kits from D2audio I have program with USB. The module itself uses SDA and SCL inputs (I2C standard) and the Dev kit has a Cypress USB chip with custom firmware from D2Audio in it.

The kits I have used, for the 4 and 8 channel modules, had analog, S/PDIF and I2S inputs.

The power supply I am using is a Skynet SNP-Z30T 48V. The power supply also has a 5V output. I have had to provide on my board a 48V to 12V step down switching regulator with an LN2592HVT-ADJ. Also I did a 5V to 3.3V regulator to supply power to the USB interface chip and because the logic levels for the D2Modules is 3.3V. I did this with an LM317.

D2Audio Modules for the DIY Market

Here is the reply from the Sales Director of D2Audio.

Hi Dan,

We would love to sell modules to the hobbyists as you describe. The only issue would be what level of support this group would
expect/require from us. At the present time, we do not have enough resources to support this group of customers. I am open to your thoughts on this.

Feel free to call me so we can discuss.

If I arranged to sell these to the DIY market am I going to get piles of thrashed modules back demanding refunds? Of if you folks blow them up, you'll suck it in and behave like adults, buying a replacement at a discount. They are 100% tested before shipment and we have not received a bad one yet.

And, we have only damaged one so far. A tech fired up a prototype that had been lying around for three months and failed to notice that during this time someone (maybe me) left a screwdriver lying across the PCB. After a small flash one channel was no longer functioning.

Also, do look at the D2Audio web site and tell me the module that you would prefer. For reference purposes, the XS100, 8 x 100W module would be about $440.00 to the single user. I would include an application schematic. As well, I may be able to provide the PCB and the connectors used for the module.

Let me know your opinion.

Also, I do know the sales manager for ICE Power. They have made no committment to me but I could approach them. If I could get the ICE Power 1000ASP to sell for $375.00 would there be enough interest in it?

Reply to:dmfraser@sbcglobal.net

Dan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.