Pure 2-channels music subwoofer - Sealed

I'm planning to introduce (preferably a pair) of subwoofer into my current 2 channels setup. I've 2 units of Hypex plate amp from the past project years back hence I'll be reusing this and looking through the option, i am really interested with the Madisound kit of the SB34SWNRX (https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.c...-sb34-12-subwoofer-kit-with-passive-radiator/)

It seems in a reasonably sized box (~2.0-2.5cubic), the SB34SWNRX with a single passive radiator will have a F3 of <30hz, and I've the Hypex plateamp that can boost it further if required. All in all, the size and the combination sounds like a good use-case.

I've a question hopefully will get some feedbacks:
  • There's another driver which is SB34SWPL, it has a beefier cone surround and looks more like a subwoofer driver to me, and it seems it fits into an smaller box well enough, anyone tried this driver and how does it compares to SB34SWNRX?
  • anyone has build a sub based on either the SB34SWNRX or SB34SWPL drivers, and what's your experience?

Many thanks

If you want to go to with 12" may I recommend the CSS SDX12, you can go with the sealed box that they recommend and get a F3 of around 22 hz with some boost, that driver can take it and it seems cheaper than the madisound kit, the boxes are quite simple so you can DIY them

Can you tell us an about your 2 channel system?…….what level SPL will you need?…..how large is your space?…..will you be using the system for home theater content as well?

two subs are great idea…….my personal observations have been that 3 smaller subs are even better.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello, I have a few speaker that cycles thru the setup which makes it complicated at time...namely a common 6.5'' 2way bookshelf (doing solid 40ish hz), a 8'' 2-way larger bookshelf (down to 35hz well), and a large 3-way floorstand

space is about 50m2...and when I listen loud, perhaps its at avg of 90ish db from a 3m distance, not for prolong though

the system will be mainly for 2 channels music, no home theatre content

50m2?…..woah that‘s a BIG space!……. clean articulate bass at 90db 30hz in room response?……I’d be looking at a pair of 15’s or 3 twelves…….forget 10’s which is what I was going to recommend.

You won’t get much room gain with that big of a space so a modeled free field f3 of 32-33hz would be my target tune.

anyone has build a sub based on either the SB34SWNRX or SB34SWPL drivers, and what's your experience?
No personal experience with either.
The SB34SWPL76-4 has 15mm Xmax (30mm linear travel peak to peak), so given more power in a sealed box, should be capable of ~105dB at 30Hz (one meter), about 2.5 dB more output than the SB34SWNRX-S75-6 at 11mm.

Since most of the output at Fb (box tuning) is from the passive radiator, one wants about double the excursion from it as the driven cone. The SB34NRX-00 PR appears to use the same surround as the SB34SWNRX, ~15mm (one way) mechanical limit, so probably wouldn't have more output than the SB34SWPL76-4, though won't require as much power to max out.

The SP1-300 may have a bit more or less power than your Hypex plate amps.
The Speakerpower SP1-300 is rated for 300watts at 4 ohms, 150w at 8 ohms, so about 200w at 6 ohms (35volts no load).

Me neither…..my goto subs here in the states are Dayton Audio RS series…..the best performance value IMO.

Don‘t get too concerned with distortion under 50hz……you won’t hear it. Linear travel and mechanical limits along with amp clipping take priority along with well build boxes to avoid resonance.

Me neither…..my goto subs here in the states are Dayton Audio RS series…..the best performance value IMO.

Don‘t get too concerned with distortion under 50hz……you won’t hear it. Linear travel and mechanical limits along with amp clipping take priority along with well build boxes to avoid resonance.
Agree the Dayton RS subs are hard to beat and I have some that are over 10 years old, have taken a beaten and still work great.