Purchasing wood and water.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For eStatic or Killowattski

I have found your posts through a google search and am impressed by your interest and knowledge of wood. I was trying to find out where I might sell two large Black Walnut trees and one larger Butternut tree I have growing in my back yard. I live in Washington County in Upstate New York. Do either of you belong to any wood working forums or know of who I might contact to get more information on this? I'm stumbling around the web aimlessly trying to find the right search phrases to reach this goal. Any help would be great!

Thank you Killowatski!

Thanx Killowatski for posting the 2 links. I shall try them both. I never thought much about the trees till my neighbor accross the road sold his for a considerable sum. If I could sell one of mine, it would be quite the money tree and would help me get the rest of my house restored. (It was originally built in 1787). Thanx again!

Scoundrel- You should talk to your neighbor, and get the name of the logger or mill his logs went to. Then talk to the sawyer directly. He'll give you an idea of how to go about making the most $$. Often just getting the logs to the mill is the most profitable part, but the grading after drying is where the large sums are often made.

Many mills are wary of "yard" trees as they may have hidden metal in them. Larger mills even employ metal detectors. If they're not interested, one option is hiring a local with a portable band saw.

If you decide to cut them yourself and the trees are large, make a clean cut on each end of the log and wet it, a careful examination will tell you what quality of grain the rest of the log will have. If it's clean, find out when the hardwood veneer log buyer comes around, and contact him.

Your area is thick with loggers and mills, your best help won't be found on the web, but just down the road.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.