Pumpkin preamp - ordered by Steen , official making thread

Zen Mod said:

use that EI and place it in separate box ; 600VA donut is really overkill ....... even for Pumpkin :clown:

both transformers you show are probably too large ( physically and inducing hum wise) to be in same box with active electronic

Keeping the trafo in another box is not very high in the WAF - how effective is it to do a aluminum partition or an aluminum cyclinder to surround the trafo (using a tin can? ) - in terms of reducing noise? Or is it the fact that the trafo is bolted to the chassis that causes problems?

I don't mind having a larger single chassis and keeping the trafo as far away from the channel pcb as I can. But I guess if its no go - then I'll use one of those desktop computer power supply boxes to house the power circuit.

her shann

Manu said:
My (humble) experience is that Al is not really (or really not) good in shielding trafos radiations.
Distance is far better, or some iron-sheet.

I had good experience with little piece of wood for méchanical decoupling from chassis.

Manu

Whatever material you choose for the shielding, keep in mind that it's a matter of thickness. Steel can offer the same shielding as aluminum, but require less wall thickness.

Anyhow, you need more than a tin can to make any significant shielding. I did some testing on the subject, for a 1000VA torodial trafo you need approx. 12mm steel to get the magnetic field under control adequately for placing it next to a sensitive circuit.

Magura :)

Copper don't hurt but is not so efficient against magnetic radiations. Actually only u-Metal is.
If magnetic strays is the problem. Distance cures it completely. Depending on how strong the radiations are (how big the trafo, but not only) a of course. So " ... both transformers you show are probably too large ( physically and inducing hum wise) to be in same box ..." (Zen Mod)

Manu

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
jacco vermeulen said:
Chinese proverb says: better to save big pecker for larger pants.

good pecker - piece in house
(read - grande WAF)

so - solution is simple - little less time for DIY , but greater freedom for materializing objects of DIY ........... including bigger budget for same

things are simple between two sex-es :clown:

nirvana for wo-man, freedom for man ........... :rofl:

Soon we will all get spam mail on how to get big peckers.:rolleyes:

Anybody has experience with the materials from this site?

http://www.lessemf.com/mag-shld.html

Thinking of getting the Magnetshield 4 inch ribbon, wrap it around a big tin can (a few layers?) and covering the trafo to see if it helps.

Why are we so fastidious when preamp manufacturers seems to have no problems? Don't see many 2 box solutions for commercial preamps.

Maybe I should look for smaller trafo - maybe 100VA - except it is hard to find a 80-100VCT small trafo. Any sources?

her shann

hershann said:
Soon we will all get spam mail on how to get big peckers.:rolleyes:
Why are we so fastidious when preamp manufacturers seems to have no problems? Don't see many 2 box solutions for commercial preamps.
her shann

Your reference is no good. With commercial amps price is one of the biggest goals. For price no object brands, your statement is incorrect. There are solutions with two boxes, batteries...
It never ends of how it could be done better.

Go for reasonable size trafo stick it in the furthest corner of your preamp, and you will be fine. Or, turn on your preamp and amp, move trafo around the box and outside the box and listen. Where you here the least amount of noise set it there. Obviously make sure that you have no power when you are touching trafo.

hershann said:
Don't see many 2 box solutions for commercial preamps.

You are wrong.

Placing the transformer in a separate small shabby case is very common, the ones which also have the rest of the PS in a separate box are un-common and only a handfull.
There's even a straight-6 boxer pre-amp.

(can't wait to hear what the Woody-Pecker has to say about transformer size)

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
AR2 said:

........... Obviously make sure that you have no power when you are touching trafo.

why - that can be really overwhelming experience :devily: .......

AR2 is right - in many commercial preamps man can find eeny weeny xformers , which radiating field is way weaker than of any xformer you (hershann) posted ........

on the other side - Pumpie with Shunty isn't everyday's preamp ...... just look at amount of energy it needs, without any additional fancy gadgets

I think that a hi end preamp in 1 chassis has probably gone thru much R+D in this regard. The maker likely went through several layouts and several trafos before settling in on an arraignment.

I'd rather just stick it outside:D