Pumpkin preamp - ordered by Steen , official making thread

Didiet78 :

I will warn you, that i back then only got one channel (High gainet) working... I had some serius trouble, with stabillity of the circuit, and some humming.

If it had something to do with the layout, i dont know... But "many" years after, i know now, that with a PCB design like DipTrace i could do a lot better.

You can easily design a 2 layer Pcb, and etch for your self... For me, the part of making PCB is half of the FUN making DiYAuDio ! - So i easily understand why you will make youre own PCB's...

Jesper.

Didiet78 :

You can easily design a 2 layer Pcb, and etch for your self... For me, the part of making PCB is half of the FUN making DiYAuDio ! - So i easily understand why you will make youre own PCB's...

Jesper.

Agree on this but I rather get the PCB from Zen Mod as a token for all the intratainment he provides on this forum.

Saiing that it will be nice to know
1) Is it possible to get them?
2) Is there any reason why I dont get replies to my warious requests?
I know I had special training on being an anoing pest and wont take any offence if this is the case.
Just let me know please so I can stop wasting space on this tread

Didiet78 :

I will warn you, that i back then only got one channel (High gainet) working... I had some serius trouble, with stabillity of the circuit, and some humming.

If it had something to do with the layout, i dont know... But "many" years after, i know now, that with a PCB design like DipTrace i could do a lot better.

Jesper.

Thanks for warning. I don't want end up like Katieandad, got oscillation problem and still unsolved, maybe the new owner of katieandad's pumpkin can solve the problem.
For making PCB, i'm using Eagle Cadsoft, still need alot to learn. Copying good layout really helpfull for learning.

Thanks again for warning.
Didiet

NoProb...

Actually i get it working, but back then i got some serious problem, as i describet before, with unstability and like... I also have the problem, with DC -squeezzing on input, which i bellive was solved later, when other reported in the same problem... Still unsure if that had something to do with my problems.

Well the Pumkin was playing for a month or two, dispite thoose problem, but looking at a oscilloscope, 1. channel was very wrong. - Again it could be other problems, besides PCB layout. -Also i would like to say, that my PSU was a mockup ala' BoSoZ zener / mosfet regulated model... so it was not ideal either... Well i have had a lot of fun anyway with this *Pumpkin... and still proud beeing the first "prototype", besides ZenMods own ofcause...

ZenMod ? - Do you actually still have theese pcb's for shunty + pumpkin ???

Jesper.

NoProb...

Actually i get it working, but back then i got some serious problem, as i describet before, with unstability and like... I also have the problem, with DC -squeezzing on input, which i bellive was solved later, when other reported in the same problem... Still unsure if that had something to do with my problems.

Well the Pumkin was playing for a month or two, dispite thoose problem, but looking at a oscilloscope, 1. channel was very wrong. - Again it could be other problems, besides PCB layout. -Also i would like to say, that my PSU was a mockup ala' BoSoZ zener / mosfet regulated model... so it was not ideal either... Well i have had a lot of fun anyway with this *Pumpkin... and still proud beeing the first "prototype", besides ZenMods own ofcause...

ZenMod ? - Do you actually still have theese pcb's for shunty + pumpkin ???

Jesper.
So, problems could arise from PCB Layout, component selections, PSU.

Ps: ZM, sorry for cloning your design
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

sorry

sent few mins ago , as soon I sit by my PC to do some typing tonight

I'm sort of high last 24 hrs - I have funny flu without temperature and I feel funny even without any meds

:rofl:

Tanks got it and I am eager to folow up will keep that discussion on Email.

Still to be said in public You are kind and upright bloke

:DThats why you feel funny you need the meds

Meds make you be funny and forghet the flu.

Old grand ma remedy

Thinly slice same carots and cover with loads of shugar let it rest in fridge
and later drink Juice

Work alla time

... I don't want end up like Katieandad, got oscillation problem and still unsolved ...

Forget it, In my opinion, what Katieandad did here was just plain nasty trolling ... :Pinoc:
And his problem is not the Pkin ...

PCB layouting is not trivial, as lykkedk stated.
Most of us have perfectly working Pumpkins so we know that ZM PCBs are well layouted and working... I would go for it ...
And if something goes wrong during building you will get assistance here

My 2 cents

Manu

OK I will try to wrap up warm and get started
Grappa is big no no as I will still have to go to work for next couple of days.
I was wondering if it would be possible to get a guide to comon faults with the circuit boards (there is always same)
I was thinking about running a "MEGA" between traks before starting to solder the components.

Help preaty please

And another daft question
OR a question that has been ansvered a gazilion times.

Traffos?

I have been looking around for trafos and standard stuff with small VA rating does came with a limited range of output voltages .

What are the reccomended minimum and maximum reccomended secondary voltages and VA ratings?

Help please Farnell list 160VA vith voltages of 30-30 the next oe is 55 - 55
I am prety shure I have seen somwhere that recomended voltages shuld be 42 - 42
For smaler VA ratings choice is even smaler.

I would if possible stick with UK manufacturer as Postagge is a killer.

Amplimo got same beter choice so most probably I will have to go there

Last edited: