Pumpkin preamp - ordered by Steen , official making thread

on input where 1 and 3 are shorted in XLR source's cable , lower leg of attenuator is shorted automatically , so you have plain stereo 2 channel pot automatically ;)

If you look at a potmeter from (bottomview) left leg is 'input'
Middle leg is 'output'
Right leg is 'GND'

If i look at attenuator connection for -in it's like this right ?
XLR input pin 1 goes to Right leg (GND)
(XLR input pin 2 is for +in)
XLR input pin 3 (-in) goes to Left leg (input)

Output from attenuator (wiper) is middle leg... Soo if you short pin 1 and 3 in XLR input, you will short the resistor''coil'' inside the potmeter. This seem's to be OK, in theori... BUT... I tried to hook it up, with my ohmmeter, and no-mater how i do it, there will be in area of 2-2,5k resistance when wiper crosses middle of potmeter :bigeyes:
This mean's that when using in real life (this is ehh ? :D)... when volumecontrol is near middle posistion, there will be some resistance between -in and GND.
If you meassure on potmeter, in normal use, this problem is not there ofcause.

Proberly this don't mean anything, but it's worth consider doing something about when making an inputselector i think ?

ZenMod you proberly have an explanation for this! Am i right ?

Lyyyykkkkkkkkkk - what you must do now is - see what you have on output of :Pumpkin: between + and gnd ,WITHOUT - shorted to gnd

With my ~20dB gain setting on :Pumpkin: ... :smash:
Input with 2vac sine = 30v out -out leaved open...
Input with 2vac sine = 45v out -out shortned to GND...

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
lykkedk said:

If you look at a potmeter from (bottomview) left leg is 'input'
Middle leg is 'output'
Right leg is 'GND'

If i look at attenuator connection for -in it's like this right ?
XLR input pin 1 goes to Right leg (GND)
(XLR input pin 2 is for +in)
XLR input pin 3 (-in) goes to Left leg (input)

Output from attenuator (wiper) is middle leg... Soo if you short pin 1 and 3 in XLR input, you will short the resistor''coil'' inside the potmeter. This seem's to be OK, in theori... BUT... I tried to hook it up, with my ohmmeter, and no-mater how i do it, there will be in area of 2-2,5k resistance when wiper crosses middle of potmeter :bigeyes:
This mean's that when using in real life (this is ehh ? :D)... when volumecontrol is near middle posistion, there will be some resistance between -in and GND.
If you meassure on potmeter, in normal use, this problem is not there ofcause.

Proberly this don't mean anything, but it's worth consider doing something about when making an inputselector i think ?

ZenMod you proberly have an explanation for this! Am i right ?

With my ~20dB gain setting on :Pumpkin: ... :smash:
Input with 2vac sine = 30v out -out leaved open...
Input with 2vac sine = 45v out -out shortned to GND...

lykk

what's count here is that minus leg of signal is grounded , not gate of fet .

so - everything is OK

tnx for measuring these combinations ....... you know that I'm still Pumpkinless :rofl:

lykk

what's count here is that minus leg of signal is grounded , not gate of fet .

so - everything is OK

tnx for measuring these combinations ....... you know that I'm still Pumpkinless

Yep... just to be sure, that i explained myself right, i did those meassuring's on potmeter's on different's kind (4,7k 10k etc...) none of them attached to anything. Soo i still prefer to have a relay 'closing' that -in to gnd connection when not in use. Not a big deal to make, and no worries for me anymore :D

I'm concerned about LL ........ this silence is so unusual .....

Ok Choky;), i will call him up this weekend, if he don't make any noise before...

Jesper.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
luvdunhill said:
just curious, has Papa commented on the Pumpkin, either in theory or from Burning Amp? Was he more like :Pumpkin: :smash: or :hbeat: :Pumpkin: ?

dunno - why Papa should comment :Pumpkin: ....... ? :devilr:

certainly :smash: :Pumpkin:

decide by yourself ....... looking HERE

EDIT:

in any case - BAF wasn't place where he can hear much , because two main reasons :

- he made Kindergarten situation with his funny hat ,

- he probably isn't too much interested in boiled water .

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
vitalstates said:
wow choky thats a spooky knowledge of 60s london tarn

I only recognised it cos I was at school with one of the cast...(name dropping little gobshite that I am)

Ed

nothing spooky in that ....... just a power of internet ;)

but - I always like films and books ....... and my memory is almost long as.........

:devilr:

nevertheless ..... Bullseye is my fave character

EDIT:

but I didn't meant that Jaccovitty is any of them .......... just remembering the story....... ya know - Fagin etc.......... just stream of associations ..........