Pumpkin preamp - ordered by Steen , official making thread

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Re: Re: Re: for mithomas - single supply

steenoe said:

Look out for the China-syndrome:D You need heavy hardware for this amp. At least a 625VA! Not seen many of those in a chipamp.

:)

I had the China Syndrome yesterday for lunch.:dead:

This is an Avel Unit. 330Va likely won't due.

I did start a new thread, to discuss X-F3 or whatever, and Pumpkin smashing, sausage and the like.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1662435#post1662435

Joined 2006
Paid Member
2u2 caps on input

Just make sure I am not being foolish and unable to read-

Regarding the last comments in the Cookbook -

I wire from balanced in + ------2U2-------+ Pot-----in+ on PCB
then same for - leg, then same for other channel, four caps total?

So I need four of these bad boys. Any recommended least cost flavor? Can I go up or down a bit here in value? I assume some non-box cap with a lead might be easier to manage, but they have been ruling the :Pumpkin: so far.

BTW, I just noticed I swapped C3 and C6 cap values around. Time to get desolder braid out.:cannotbe:

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
mithomas ..........

Attachments

• the-pumpkin-with-caps.jpg
    the-pumpkin-with-caps.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 864
Joined 2006
Paid Member
More Questions

Okay, I guess I am in the weeds again with balanced stuff. The Caps after the Pot makes sense, but I am not sure if this is the resistor hookup there or not, or for that matter that my pot should be hooked up as such. Come to think of it, I haven't bought a pot yet...Waiting to power up first, waiting for Shunty heatsinks from Duetschland.

Does my modded schematic work?

:scratch:

Attachments

• the-pumpkin-with-caps-wired to pot and xlr.jpg
    the-pumpkin-with-caps-wired to pot and xlr.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 851
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Re: More Questions

mithomas said:
Okay, I guess I am in the weeds again with balanced stuff. The Caps after the Pot makes sense, but I am not sure if this is the resistor hookup there or not, or for that matter that my pot should be hooked up as such. Come to think of it, I haven't bought a pot yet...Waiting to power up first, waiting for Shunty heatsinks from Duetschland.

Does my modded schematic work?

:scratch:

I'll sketch it it tomorrow evening in detail

The yellows from Phily are polypropylene caps which were used in TV's, comparable with the B3265* series from Siemens.
The B3265* was my favorite MKP cap for a long time, nicer than the common around the corner Wima stuff.
http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/15531.pdf
A B3265* was one of the foil caps Cyril Bateman tested for his capacitor sound article in EW a number of years ago.

The weeners are MIL-spec stuff : long coding number . Just mylar caps, but built to survive armageddon. Likely has a spec-sheet dossier the size of a novel that even describes how it should smell and in which manner it should be handled. MIL-spec parts are fun, untill you have to work with them.

Attachments

• kp357.jpg
    kp357.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 714