Pumpkin preamp - ordered by Steen , official making thread

so, I'm thinking about attenuators, and was thinking.... why not see what Papa's cooked up:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1521766#post1521766

First, what does he mean about last "manual" version?

Second, I basically will have an all Papa system.. DIY Ono for stereo table, DIY Pearl for mono table, F4, and now Pumpkin (and one of those Shiga-thingys for the occasional CD).. any recommendations on how to configure this LDR thing impedance wise?

Lastly, I suppose I'd need some sort of 4 channel version, as dual pots that are not stepped doesn't excite me... so, any ideas on how to do this?

Thoughts?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
luvdunhill said:
so, I'm thinking about attenuators, and was thinking.... why not see what Papa's cooked up:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1521766#post1521766

First, what does he mean about last "manual" version?

Second, I basically will have an all Papa system.. DIY Ono for stereo table, DIY Pearl for mono table, F4, and now Pumpkin (and one of those Shiga-thingys for the occasional CD).. any recommendations on how to configure this LDR thing impedance wise?

Lastly, I suppose I'd need some sort of 4 channel version, as dual pots that are not stepped doesn't excite me... so, any ideas on how to do this?

Thoughts?

easy to do - you must have them enough to make quad pot ;)

make it as Papa drew ,I suppose that's good enough :rofl:

(last manual version , probably not driven with some uProc .? )

Sigh.

Mr P's 2-channel light orchestra has the 4 LEDs of the LDRs in series.
A single pot for 2 channels means perfect symmetric attenuation, to use the same deal for 4 channels (aka balanced stereo) would imply putting 8 LEDs of 8 LDRs in series.

(Coco Chanel No5 perv-hume is what the ladies want, Eau-Balance stereo aka Chanel No4 for gents)

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
jacco vermeulen said:
Sigh.

Mr P's 2-channel light orchestra has the 4 LEDs of the LDRs in series.
A single pot for 2 channels means perfect symmetric attenuation, to use the same deal for 4 channels (aka balanced stereo) would imply putting 8 LEDs of 8 LDRs in series.

(Coco Chanel No5 perv-hume is what the ladies want, Eau-Balance stereo aka Chanel No4 for gents)

first pasus - clear and fine ;

but that last part - odour related , was puzzling

hmm... microcontroller sounds too complicated. If using 8 LDRs in series, where are the taps for the other channel? Would you not need to build in some sort of attenuation range adjustment for the extra 4 LDRs?

I'm keen on trying it out, assuming the matching doesn't get as insane as what people in that other thread are doing for 6-channel attenuation... now all I need is a plan ;)

jacco vermeulen said:
Yeah, the decent optocouplers seem expensive, and if you want 8 matched ones you may have to buy 30.
Easiest adress for a Siliconix NSL low-R type is like $3.50/100.
Smells like groupy gang bang, no ?

Papa makes a part recommendation in the above thread, as well as gives distribution data... but your estimation seems reasonable enough to me.

I have no problem working a group buy. It seems that Allied is a good place to get these critters from.

As usual, prettiest would be to measure all of them to get matching colors, but at the price of a letter and stamp we could undertake a global logistics operation later on.

Peut-etre parce que c'est une ligne Pro de SMEG, Grand-Marechal de Sausisse.
Pour le 2eme-Q :je suis Jaccolina de la Cucina depuis ma 10eme, je "connais"quelques gents d'etoile-ttes. Il-y-a aussi une ligne gourmande sur diyA, autres images de ma cuisine sont la ba-ba)
~50% de mes livres bouffe-ttes=>

Attachments

• la-bouffe2.jpg
    la-bouffe2.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 405
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
jacco vermeulen said:
As usual, prettiest would be to measure all of them to get matching colors, but at the price of a letter and stamp we could undertake a global logistics operation later on.

Peut-etre parce que c'est une ligne Pro de SMEG, Grand-Marechal de Sausisse.
Pour le 2eme-Q :je suis Jaccolina de la Cucina depuis ma 10eme, je "connais"quelques gents d'etoile-ttes. Il-y-a aussi une ligne gourmande sur diyA, autres images de ma cuisine sont la ba-ba)
~50% de mes livres bouffe-ttes=>

Jaccovitty and Manuovitty ;

pricajte srpski da vas ceo svet razume ........ dosta vise tih lokalnih jezika !

:rofl: