• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

PSUD modelling of a filament supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK, I now have most of the parts for the filament supplies. Still waiting on the transformers and I need to pick up some of the resistors and pots, but I can assemble most of the circuit now.

I have a question about PCBs/prototyping boards. The local Radio Shack didn't have any "peg boards", so I bought a pair of boards that have solder traces on them. I've used these before, and the traces lift if you keep an iron on them for 2 seconds (i.e. they're really flimsy and annoying), so I don't think I should trust them with 2.5A of current, right? I was planning on using them as peg-boards, i.e. use hookup wire for component-to-component connections and use the board just to mount stuff, no currents flowing through the board's traces.

Does anyone see any issues with that? Or is that an unsafe plan, and I should go get real peg-board, or proto boards capable of handling the currents that will be going through them? Or anything else? For others who have built high-current circuits with discrete diodes and regulators (i.e., lots of chips), how have you mounted them?

Thanks,
Saurav

Well, that was back when I was using my cheap Radio Shack iron. I now have a Hakko temp-controlled iron. It's set to 750F, and that's what I've been using it at. Is that too high? Maybe it's OK for resistors and capacitors, but I should lower it when working with the diodes and regulators?

And do you think a proto-PCB will be able to handle 2.5A through its traces? Here's the part: http://www.radioshack.com/product.a..._name=CTLG_011_002_002_000&product_id=276-170

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.