• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

PSU question? Going tube rectified

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK then,

Put in a solid state rectifier in your sim model... and the 100 uF caps and the same resistor. Run the sim, and find out the output ripple.

Then redo the sim with tube and the smaller first cap... use 150 for the second cap and adjust the R value until you get same ripple.

Tell us what you find... and remeber if you sim goes from 250 to 240 don't worry... this is science but not always exact science.

;)

poobah said:
OK then,

Put in a solid state rectifier in your sim model... and the 100 uF caps and the same resistor. Run the sim, and find out the output ripple.

Then redo the sim with tube and the smaller first cap... use 150 for the second cap and adjust the R value until you get same ripple.

Tell us what you find... and remeber if you sim goes from 250 to 240 don't worry... this is science but not always exact science.

;)
Cool... I see now I'm too tired now, I'll run them tomorrow.

poobah said:
Yes,

But also you should be looking at ripple voltage as well. Look at the min and max voltages of your final cap. The difference between these two is the ripple voltage and that could be audible. ;)
Ok so I put in the original design in PSUD with a 20mA Constant current load and the V(C2) Values are -40.9 mV to a max of 257.56 V

That's big... I think maybe I'm not using the software right or I'm reading it wrong?

Is that 40 mV a min?

Be sure to look at the min's and max's after the power suppply has warmed up... DO:

Simulate for [1000] ms after a reporting delay of [10] seconds.

Your peak-to-peak ripple will then be: Max - Min.

Just design your tube rectifier to match or do a little better.

I believe (don't know for sure) that your amp design has good PSRR = Power Supply Rejection Ratio, small ripple may be a small issue.

One way to find out!

;)

Yup....

So after playing around a little after 17 seconds the voltage levels out with 33.59 mV of ripple

Now, two qestions come to mind

1. How much current is the amplifier circuit drawing?

2. When adjusting the resistor value to a greater value, will I have to increase the wattage?

The 20 mA spec should reflect the worst case draw... at lower current your ripple will be less... so, no problem.

You ARE using a 20 mA current source as your last element in the SIM... right?

If you make the resistor higher, you may need to increase the wattage. Use the RMS current from the sim:

Power = Irms x Irms x R

You should use a resistor rated at about 2 times the power from above (for reliability and lower case temperature).

:D

Yes, I am using a ccs of 20mA

I just pulled the figure from the amp article that says max output is around 20mA

I don't know how to actually calculate what it will draw from the tube datasheets and schematic.

Then I just use ohm's law with the values from PSUD to figure out the wattage right?

Well,

This is a leap here... but follow along. Either your solid state circuit OR your tube version will Require the same ripple. The ripple will vary with current... but it will do so in the same way for either circuit.

So just match or reduce the ripple with your tube circuit and all will be well

Just use 1/2 RA, 2 times C2...

Use 40 mA just for fun...

Now do have a five volt winding for your rectifier heater???

;)

poobah said:
Well,

This is a leap here... but follow along. Either your solid state circuit OR your tube version will Require the same ripple. The ripple will vary with current... but it will do so in the same way for either circuit.

So just match or reduce the ripple with your tube circuit and all will be well

Just use 1/2 RA, 2 times C2...

Use 40 mA just for fun...

Now do have a five volt winding for your rectifier heater???

;)
It's got to be close to 40 mA

The original spec'd tranny is 65 mA

There is a 5 volt @ 6 amp winding

I have all the parts to build a solid state psu now as well so I may just build it ( so I can see the difference) and measure the current

poobah said:
You'll have to change caps and all to revert to a tube rectifier.
I don't mind too much
poobah said:
Might as well build it the way you want it.[/B]
This is most likely what will happen
poobah said:
I won't go near the tube versus ss PSU debate...[/B]
I wouldn't either, But I wouldn't mind seeing what the audible difference is
poobah said:
A tube does provide an inherent soft start though.[/B]
That's a good thing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.