PS Audio 200 CX Revisited

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Nice output stage. With the "stiff" 75 volt rails , you can really break the china with it. My amp is 4X Njw21193/4 and mje15033/2 drivers and WOW!! (250w w/ 500+w peaks)

The voltage stage that drives this awesome powerplant... it is pure junk :(
Why not just upgrade the whole IPS/VAS ??

PS , not even a "speedup" cap between the driver emitters ? :eek:

OS

Last edited:
How did this PS 200CX project turn out?
I have a line on getting a PS 200c that was upgraded to CX for $300 any thoughts on these when compared to the newer affordable amps such as Odessey etc?
I also have in the garage an old BGW 700 pro audio amp that i have not yet put in my main system yet more food for your thought.
Thanks
currently running: Linn Isobarik DMS (alt Acoustat 3 's) speakers, 2 Apt Holman power one amps bridged, Meitner PA6i pre, Beheringer DEQ2496, CD is an Elite PD 93,

I've seen three so far...

1st one (Serial#028) had polished copper bell on transformer, small blue heat sinks atop each T03 case, with problematic VAS and excessive DC offset.

2nd was like the above, without the blue supplementary heatsinks(it had been modded with boutique resistors and caps). Later production.

The third had no copper bell atop traf, no blue sinks, and added servo PCB's riding underneath the main board. Later production.

Too bad I don't remember the other serial numbers...

-Chas

Replace small caps first...

I want to re-start, see if there are problems,

Just remembered:

Due to the age of the amp, I would first replace the small electrolytic caps on each board (Mine cost only a few dollars).

Then I would use a variac or at least a light bulb in series(or both) when powering up for the first time since storage.

This may save the amp from damage if any of the electrolytics have dried out.

-Chas

1st one (Serial#028) had polished copper bell on transformer, small blue heat sinks atop each T03 case, with problematic VAS and excessive DC offset.

2nd was like the above, without the blue supplementary heatsinks(it had been modded with boutique resistors and caps). Later production.

The third had no copper bell atop traf, no blue sinks, and added servo PCB's riding underneath the main board. Later production.

Too bad I don't remember the other serial numbers...

-Chas
Thank you for this advices.

Good morning;
I am new to this forum and have a question about my PS Audio 200C amplifier. It has been mothballed for many years now and just fired it up for use. Seems that upon power down, one channel exhibits a burst of static/crackling through the speaker. I suppose it may be a dried out cap or something else that has failed.

Does anyone have a possible solution and perhaps a schematic before I put it on my test bench.

Thanks much.
Steve

Nice output stage. With the "stiff" 75 volt rails , you can really break the china with it. My amp is 4X Njw21193/4 and mje15033/2 drivers and WOW!! (250w w/ 500+w peaks)

The voltage stage that drives this awesome powerplant... it is pure junk :(
Why not just upgrade the whole IPS/VAS ??

PS , not even a "speedup" cap between the driver emitters ? :eek:

OS

Speedup cap ....? Are you talking about caps at the output tranny supply side..?

Just remembered:

Due to the age of the amp, I would first replace the small electrolytic caps on each board (Mine cost only a few dollars).

Then I would use a variac or at least a light bulb in series(or both) when powering up for the first time since storage.

This may save the amp from damage if any of the electrolytics have dried out.

-Chas

What about psu caps and rectifiers ...?

I've got a 200CX in for refurbishment. It works (supposedly, haven't really checked it out yet) but has excessive turn-on/turn-off "pops". I'm guessing excessive DC offset, or an input stage that can't control the output during power up and down. We'll see once I get into it.

Besides replacing the small electrolytic caps and solving the issue above, any other changes I should make to this amp to make it reliable?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.