Proxxon drill press for making holes?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Outlet 6-20R

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Plug 6-20P

295270202_385.JPG

This adapter you listed will also fit into a 6-20R outlet as those outlets accept 15 or 20 amp plugs. Then all you need to do is fabricate an extension cord. It will not provide ground on a German plug though so you are just better off cutting the plug off and replacing it with a NEMA plug.

As I mentioned before, check the frequency on the nameplate.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Your A/C outlet will supply 230-240v. Your service is probably single phase coming into the building so in U.S. residential services you will find 110/220 or 115/230 or 120/240.

You will only find 208 on 120/208 WYE three phase services.

A 120/240 three phase delta would provide 240 or 120 volts. One leg would be 200+ to neutral. You will usually only find delta services in commercial or industrial areas though.

I would bet that your service is single phase so you will be fine voltage wise.

Now, here is the problem, did you research the frequency of the motor? If the motor is 50Hz then it will eventually burn up on 60 Hz service here in the US. If the motor is a 50/60Hz unit then it will be fine as it was designed for universal use.

Another thing is that a 50 Hz motor running on 60Hz will run faster than it is rated at due to the clock speed.

Double check the frequency though as if it is 50Hz only then it will saturate the motor windings and cook it over time.

As for the plug, a 6-20P is a 20 amp 250V straight blade plug and a 6-30P is a 30 amp 250v straight blade plug. If it is preceded by an "L" then it is a locking type and is not the same configuration as the straight blade but still has the same current and voltage ratings.

I would just plug it into the A/C outlet directly and not use a step up transformer. You can buy a six dollar plug to put on it or you will spend 300 to 400 dollars on a suitable transformer to power it.

Let me know what the nameplate on the unit reads and if you have access to a volt meter then just take a quick check on the A/C outlet.

Thanks very much for the reply. My guess is the power on the NEMA 6 is indeed split phase:

Split-phase electric power - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But since this is an apartment building not a single family residence I am not sure. I have a meter, an old Radio Shack analog meter. Actually I have two of them. But I don't have a meter that I would trust to measure possibly two phase AC.

I've been looking at extension cords. Found a 20 meter Schuko extension cord, but not from a US supplier. As long as I were willing to build the cable myself it looks like a NEMA 6 to Schuko might be the least expensive solution. Two disadvantages are that I would have a thick cable running through my living room that I would probably fall over, and I could not operate the air conditioning at the same time as the drill press. The transformers I linked still seem like a better deal for less than $100 delivered.

The Proxxon faceplate says 230 V 50/60 Hz 300 W. The motor is a DC motor, not AC.

Ok, then you will be fine running that on 60Hz. Any of the meters that you have will be fine to test voltage at the outlet. Since the strp up transformer will be basically running a power supply and not the motor directly then anything that will convert 120 to 240 at 300 watts and up will be fine including the one that you listed. $100 is a good deal for it if I remember that is what you said it was and that will get this running for you.

Thanks. I'll plan to update with my experience when I get it working (which will be sometime after I acquire a suitable workbench top on which to put the drill press). I really think the transformer is the better option. The US Consumer Product Safety Commission has a fact sheet on extension cords: "A 65-year old woman was treated for a fractured ankle after tripping over an extension cord." I figure she was probably covered by Medicare whereas I have two more years to go! And, speaking seriously, I've had two bad falls in the last couple months. I don't need more safety hazards.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.