Pros and Cons of Transmission Line speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Likewise, Martin, please just ignore it. I agree it is a stupid label to give a new member, since they may well be a very experienced individual and calling them a "Neophyte" is ridiculous and insulting.

There are some very good people on the forum and you would be in good company, as no-one really takes any notice of of what label someone is anyhow. (just because some says a lot doesn't mean it is worth listening to)

Mind you, there are also the folks like me ......... I saw the label "Neophyte" and thought, "how did they know?"

Cloth Ears,
Always wanted to call someone that;-)
See the Thor project under the SEAS website.

mark

Aw, hell...you go out of town for a few days, and something goes awry...figures.
Bear in mind two things, one of which has already been stated, the Neophyte moniker is based on how many posts you do; goes up to ten, as I recall. The other thing is that you can change the thing yourself, if you want to. I haven't bothered, myself. Never really cared about labels.
To get flustered to this extent over such a thing...I dunno...

Grey

I don't recall who posted the thought in this thread that the drivers are at differing lengths in the line, but I would have to agree with that, and it's a very good point. T-lines are tuned by port length... how is this done with 2 drivers???
anybody got a thought on this?
(sorry if it sounds like a cement-headed question)

what do you guys think of a TL design with a full range like a Fostex 6.5"?

Anywho, this is my first trip to the forum to actually write something, and it seems like an awesome resource!!!:)

Thanx, Navin...
I've been kicking around the idea of a full-range driver project, and am still undecided on design... horn or TL...
I'm really swaying more towards the TL, but probably wrongly so... I just don't know enough about the horns...
maybe I should build both???:D

PCA said:
Thanx, Navin...
I've been kicking around the idea of a full-range driver project, and am still undecided on design... horn or TL...
I'm really swaying more towards the TL, but probably wrongly so... I just don't know enough about the horns...
maybe I should build both???:D

a good person to talk to is Bob Brines. He is knowledgeable about these driver and helpful too.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
blank527 said:
I haven't seen this project coming through this thread.
In my opinion a very good design with scan speak drivers.
Anyone sharing the same thoughts?

Not my cup of tea... far too much XO for me. But if you are into the "Danish School of Design" it may rock your boat.

The article thou looks like it has some very interesting data... i'll have to print it out and put it in the library for later study (i can't read that white text on black background)

dave

planet10 said:

Not my cup of tea... far too much XO for me. But if you are into the "Danish School of Design" it may rock your boat.

With all due respect (I really do respect your views).

What is the Danish School of Design? From what I understand Dynaudio, ScanSpeak-Vifa, Peerless ( I do know about Tympany and all that) and even Jamo have different sound and different philosophies.

Do Danes prefer XO heavy speakers? I thought it was primarily a British phenomenon (many years ago I had striped open an 801F and a KEF 105).

Do the French (led by brands like Triangle and JMLab-Focal) and the Germans (Eton, etc..) have a different philosophy?

Where does that leave Audax that is suppsoed to be French but I am told is owed by Harman Intl.?

Dave, in the end it is how the speaker sounds that is important. I too do feel that too much XO robs a speaker of it's "liveliness"but we still should not judge a speaker by it's design but by how it reproduces music. In the end it is all about the music.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
planet10 said:

No -- just that a significant portion of the drivers used in these kinds of designs are SEAS/Scan/ScanSpeak/VIFA/Peerless/DynAudio/Morel.

dave

Here I go again, darnit. Isn't Morel Israeli? Isn't the ruler flat freq. response what was advocated by the BBC and the formula for many of our Canadain Manufacturers per NRC findings?

MJL21193 said:

Here I go again, darnit. Isn't Morel Israeli? Isn't the ruler flat freq. response what was advocated by the BBC and the formula for many of our Canadain Manufacturers per NRC findings?

I understand Dave's reponse. Morel is Israeli (I belive there is/was also a Morel USA based in the North East around Boston) but the technologies they have their origins in Dynaudio.

E. Skanning founded many of these companies (Dynaudio, Scan-Speak as well as Skanning) and many of the present day products still carry his signature although it can be argued that that effect is waning.

I dont know much about the particular details of the NRC findings but I never really cottoned to the ruler flat freq response dictated by the BBC. It is a personal preference like all of audio generaly is.

This might be becuase (a) the room makes so much of a difference to the final sonic signature (b) most musical instruments do not really have ruler flat freq responses (c) mixing engineers and their equipment/monitors are not ruler flat either and/or other factors.

The final judge of a speaker is how much do you get involved in the music. If your toe taps and that you are feeling the music the chase ends there, you have found the holy grail.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
MJL21193 said:

There is an Isreali Moral, and an Indian Morel, both using technology licenced from DynAudio... in the beginning DynAudio clones.

The BBC advocates consistent repeatable response. And yes, Floyd could be classed as part of the Danish School.

Flat frequency response is only one of many important contributors to a speakers ability to try to portray a musical event and speakers are so far from being perfect, that you can gather lots of great sounding speakers and not have any of them sound the same.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
navin said:
An Indian Morel? I did not know. I am Indian (East Indian) and live in India.

I'm pretty sure. That is where Morel USA gets their drivers (or am i getting this mixed up with Peerless India?)

Yea, i think i probably made that mistake...

here is what Bob Stout (LDSG) has to say:

"In 2003, a feud broke out between Morel USA, and its parent company in Israel. The confusing result of this is that the two separate companies have established separate distribution channels, each using the Morel name. The good news is that all of the classic Morel drivers are available from both company's distributors. The bad news is that all of the newer drivers are proprietary to one or the other and are therefore only carried by that company's distributors. To date, I have primarily received recommendations for the classic Morel designs, with the exception of the two new Supreme tweeters."

Now one has to ask where Morel USA is getting their speakers made, because i'm guessing that once they ran out of stock, they weren't getting any more from Isreal.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.