Pros and cons of small ESL tweeters?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The PT-2 actually sounds pretty good. It's not the flattest thing in the world, but it is really great for the price. One thing with the PT-2 though.....It is somewhat difficult to get a good transition between it and the mid-bass. You really need woofers that can reach at least to 5 kHz to get a good smooth transition.

Cheers,
Zach

bear said:
Yes.

A few reasons.

First, I don't make a habit of recommending specific products in this context in a forum like this.

Well, except you certainly did here. I couldn't imagine a more positive evaluation of a HF driver than I read....right up until the point where you'd be expected to identify the product.

bear said:

Second, I am not particularly happy with this particular manufacturer, for assorted reasons. I was technically a distributor for them, but that's another story...

OK, that makes some sense. Sour grapes.

bear said:

Third, the last thing I want to do is to increase sales for some other company, especially given the above.

OK, except are you in the manufacturing business of making a competitve driver?

bear said:

And fourth, sometimes it's better for people to do their own poking about and make up their own minds, rather than perpetuate what I call (loosely speaking) "the product of the month club"...

Hope this makes sense...

_-_-bear :Pawprint:

Well it is one of the main purposes if I understand DIY Audio correctly for participants to share their experiences and thusly help others like minded who may not have the time and resources to re-invent a wheel every time they need another round. I am deperately looking for a high performance tweeter for example but am not in a position to mail order fifty different tweeters just to be able to hear them and make my own decisions from scratch. I just don't have the resources.

BTW, I went and checked out your website. I am impressed with the way you shared your personal experience history and I think your writing skills are very good.

rcavictim said:

Well, except you certainly did here. I couldn't imagine a more positive evaluation of a HF driver than I read....right up until the point where you'd be expected to identify the product.

Exactly. And I didn't mention all the downsides, and there a few.
And, btw are you prepared to spend ~$2000 on a pair of tweeters? :eek:

OK, that makes some sense. Sour grapes.
Were those things grapes?
It just makes any uncertainty, certain.

OK, except are you in the manufacturing business of making a competitve driver?
Is that ok, if I was?
Or if I might become so?
That is all the more reason to *not* plug a name brand product, isn't it?
But no, I do not at this time manufacture any drivers.
Check my website.

Well it is one of the main purposes if I understand DIY Audio correctly for participants to share their experiences and thusly help others like minded who may not have the time and resources to re-invent a wheel every time they need another round. I am deperately looking for a high performance tweeter for example but am not in a position to mail order fifty different tweeters just to be able to hear them and make my own decisions from scratch. I just don't have the resources.
Actually, nor do I. :(

This specific product is extremely expensive, as I stated above, which puts it out of the range of the average DIY person.

The other thing is that I share a great deal of information in online forums, but some things are not going to be shared. The name of this manufacturer happens to be one of them. In general I try very hard to not mention manufacturers names in certain situations, this is one of them. In other situations I do mention their names. But the criteria for this decision is a highly classified algorithm that is a trade secret! :p

BTW, I went and checked out your website. I am impressed with the way you shared your personal experience history and I think your writing skills are very good.

Thanks, I would like to have put much more up there, but it takes a huge amount of time to get stuff to work and look right on the web... so it's been a barrier time wise toward getting my long term goal as far as my website up and completed.

Anyhow, this sort of thing isn't terribly hard to figure out if you make a little effort to search the internet...

_-_-bear :Pawprint:

Bear,

Thanx for the reply.

Actually I WOULD be prepared to spend upwards of $2K each for tweeters under extremely specific circumstances (like if the client was paying for them), however on principle at $2K a pop for tweeters (maybe 'pop' is a poor word choice) I would likely be inclined to spend that in production tooling and manufacture them myself.

I have a plasma speaker design on the back burner and that is way over $2K in investment so far.

Dayton PT-2 Planar Tweeter

Regarding my poll for opinions on the Dayton PT-2 Planar Tweeter. I have used a pair crossed at 3K with the recommended 12dB HP circuit in a pair of experimental rear horn loaded speakers and what I first noticed was that the hiss and tish that one normally hears with tweeters was absent. This psychologically sent a message to my brain that the highs were somehow missing, but in fact they were all there crystal clear. I found their sound easy to get used to and feel that for the money they are excellent value. Their only drawback (if it is one) is that the radiiation angle in the vertical direction is quite tight. Used singly (most common) these have to be used at ear height.

I have only listened to them with my ears so far and have not subjected the speakers containing them to any form of electronic sweep analysis yet at this time. My ears give them the thumbs up.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.