Productivity

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2016
Paid Member
Productivity -- 50 years ago if you had a hernia operation you'd be laid up in the hospital for a week, these days it's done laporoscopically and you're walking around a few hours later, same with donors of kidneys and liver tissue.

Productivity -- 10 years ago the mortality of children with the cancer my wife researches was 70% within a few months of initial diagnosis. Last year 70% were surviving 3 years after initial diagnosis.

I don't think I'd characterise that as "productivity". And I'm sure that's not what government economists mean...

Worked my bum off for 37 years dedicated to one employer and I'm smiling now.

Overall I can't complain either. Sure they were crappy times like a solid year of 7 (10-12hr) day work weeks trying to get the first iDEN (Nextel, Clearnet...) phone out the door, but there were good times too. I walked in the door in 1972 with no formal education in electronics and left with two college degrees, both paid for by Motorola. I also got a fat paycheck once I found a boss who realized what I COULD do, and the fact that I WANTED to do what the "brain trust" DIDN'T want to do, build stuff (prototypes).

a boss who realized what I COULD do

I've had a few of those and they sure appreciate you.

But in my career I've always had a new boss every couple of years. Typically a boss is promoted for the wrong reasons - aka butt kissing. Many times I have seen a boss that is the real deal, knows what's going on, given the boot and replaced by a completely incompetent knob. And these incompetent knob types ALWAYS hated me, until they realized that I totally knew what I was doing and I wasn't that easy to get rid of, at which point they would treat me with a grudging kind of douchebag respect. THIS is what passes for leadership in modern corporate America - loyalty is way more important than competence and competent people are treated with contempt.

Little wonder that my once great country is now the land of stupid. It all fits.

If productivity means efficiency as it looks like currently, it appears to imply a majority of us humans at the end are becoming obsolete on the labor market, while a few at the very top are making sure to keep their positions in front of the levers.
There has been a subtle but consequential shift in meaning, most markets are almost saturated with stuff, so now the meaning is about doing the same with less. Another bastardized word is industry

Another bastardized word in the UK is Engineer.
Especially with the current cold weather, every news report (including BBC) is about Gas Engineers & Boiler Engineers when they mean Gas Fitters.
When the cold weather ends, the news reports will revert to how UK school kids don't want to become Engineers because they have seen what an "Engineer" does last time their parent's boiler/car/toilet broke down.

Another bastardized word in the UK is Engineer.
Especially with the current cold weather, every news report (including BBC) is about Gas Engineers & Boiler Engineers when they mean Gas Fitters.
When the cold weather ends, the news reports will revert to how UK school kids don't want to become Engineers because they have seen what an "Engineer" does last time their parent's boiler/car/toilet broke down.

My college doesn't have an engineering school per se, they have a program called "engineering physics" -- which gets you a physics degree and a minor in mechanical or electrical engineering. (In my era you got a minor in philosophy whether you wanted one or not!) The grads then go on to Columbia, Case Western Reserve or Manhattan College to do the final work if they so desire. The ME and EE grads are picking and choosing upon multiple job offers. They said they hadn't seen this strong a job market since 1999-2000.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.