• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Problems with Buffalo 3......

Goodmorning

Years ago i have build the Buffalo II,and a friend of mine loves it.
So we bought a Buffalo III in the marker place.....
The Buffalo II was quite easy,but the III was a differtent story for me.....:rolleyes:

The power supplies are working fine but it stays muted....
After better reading of the manual......
I came up with 2 problems:
-I think i need a Sp/dif level converter,it uses only once source.
-how can i check which firmware is on there?
With te second version all the dipswitch settings seem te be inverted.

Buffalo3.jpg

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Good morning,

It is possible that you need a level converter for the older Buffalo III, but you should specifically check the output level of your SPDIF source. You should also audit the dip switch settings. It appears to be a Buffalo III version 1.0.1. For the older ES9018 boards your best source of information is: http://www.twistedpearaudio.com/doc...-Buffalo_III_DAC_Integration_Guide_V2.1.3.pdf

It is difficult to know exactly what firmware is installed on the board. If you suspect the firmware is a problem, I think the easiest solution is to simply order a new memory chip from Twisted Pear. However, there are instructions elsewhere on DIY audio for re-flashing the memory. A quick search will find instructions.

Morning?:LOL:
19.03 in the Netherlands.

Thanks for the reply!(y)
Just tried this setting,but it makes no difference.

I think we need the converter to solve the problem.

The level converter is sold out for a long time know.
Is there an other option.

The board is version v1.0.2

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Have you double checked the nature of the spdif source? You seem to be assuming the ES9018 and other parts of the Buffalo 3 are undamaged.

If I recall correctly, the ESS Pro dac chips handle both types of spdif stream. …probably not the solution you were hoping for!