Problems with an amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Help!

I have an XM 2200GTX or sony Xplod 1200 Watt amplifier with two channels. I turned it on the other day it came on thumped then went right back off. I have checked to look and see if any of the connections just came loose and no. I put my voltmeter on the positive and ground and it said 12+ volts and remote and ground is 12+ volts. When turned on the voltmeter reads 7+ volts. A voltage drop of 5 volts. Also when the amplifier is first turned on the power/protection light comes on bright green and then gos so dim you can barely tell its on. Someone please tell me how to fix this problem! PLEASE!

If you had enough current flow to cause a 5 volt drop for long enough that you were able to measure it with a meter, the fuse should have blown.

Unless your battery is dead or very weak, you likely have too much resistance in the power line. I'd suggest that you check the fuse (it may have too much resistance) and the wiring (loose connections and/or corrosion). If the dome light in the vehicle doesn't dim significantly for as long as the amp is trying to power up, the problem isn't likely to be excessive current flow.

This doesn't mean that there is nothing wrong with the amplifier. You may have more than one problem.

I mentioned the dome light because it's a visual indicator that can tell you if something is drawing excessive current (particularly when the engine is not running). If it's not dimming, there is no excessive current draw.

If you would have a 5 volt drop across an 8g wire (assuming a length of ~15ft), you'd have to have more than 500 amps of current passing through the wire. Check the fuse and the connections. Use a voltmeter to see where you're dropping the voltage.

Now this is really starting to sound like a shorted transistor in the amplifier to me.

Idle current on most amps is so low, it could power on, and even work for low output with a 20ga power wire.

Check your junctions like Perry said using a volt meter. If all seems fine, disconnect your speakers, and RCAs from your amp. Now power it on. If the light goes red and dim as before, I am confident your amp has a problem.

Fixed

I called friedmans and got an opinion from them also. The guy said check the connections it could be the ground wire not grounded just right or it could be a broken wire. The Red led never has came on, on my amp and I hope it never does. But anyways i looked at my wiring and i traced it real hard looking for the slightest thing that could cause the amp to loose voltage and i checked where he said the ground wire. Hidden in the back part of the cab of my truck i have a ring terminal on my ground wire and it was bent up under the carpet grounded to the cab so i wiggled it and flipped the switch boom boom boom. I felt so embarrased i was like well that sucks all that worrying for nothing. Thanks for your help people. If theres anything i can help you with. Please let me know! The only thing I can figure is my girlfriend put some shirts back there while we were at the beach and it was dark when we got home so she must have reached back there and grabbed the cable and back and pulled on accident oh well. Snit Happens! Thanks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.