Problem with vintage player

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
You can sometimes 'feel' 50/60Hz (mains frequency) 'vibration' on equipment panels, possibly caused via the induced stray magnetic field from the transformer. Its not an issue at all.

Noisy transformers are difficult to deal with (yours seems to be OK from what you say) but the two problems aren't related at all.

Well, I thought too that maybe it is not really an issue.
I am amazed at the quality and feel of that massive tray. The metal plate underneath it - when you fillip it, it sounds like a combination of stainless steel and crystal. That entire transport looks like a sculpture, like a work of art.

I am considering something to dampen the top cover, but the space underneath is so tight and the player gets hot.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
First generation stuff always has terrific build quality, you have only to look at old VCR's and the like to see that.

Internal heat build up is one reason I didn't suggest damping, and secondly you just wouldn't gain anything imo.

I only enjoyed cd303 for a couple of days, because last night it started to develop its first problem, all of a sudden: strange random noise in both channels, even when not playing a cd. To give you a description of this noise, it's like when the amplifier's volume pot is dirty and you have that distorted hiss when you turn it up or down. It's exactly like that.
Any ideas? I am desperate to put it back into shape, this player has a superb sound for my taste.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
You have to treat this as a 'normal' fault and carry out a methodical check.

I would want to know why it does the noise when not playing, for example why is the output muting not at the very least killing this noise in stop mode. As far as I know the CD303 uses relays and so the first check has to be around there, if only to confirm the operation of them.

Both channels affected suggests something common... it might be worth dripping freezer spray on the large IC's to see if the issue is thermal.

Check all the rails with a scope.

See if you can pick the noise up on the scope immediately after the first opamp stage.

Well, because it annoyed me like hell, I opened the cover and started to move the ICs a little in their sockets. Powered it up and the distortion dissapeared, at least for now, I'm listening to it for twenty minutes now and seems to be ok. This is really an improvement so to speak, considering that it was unlistenable for the last 15 hours. I dont know if this is a sign of something or just pure coincidence?

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
If the problem is physical and responds to movement then you need to have a good look for dries, particularly around any power supply components such as regulators.

Fault-finding is always about gathering evidence and doing diagnostic tests. Checking the rails with a scope while it is faulty is the first step.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.