problem with quad cd 77 help needed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Sounds like a bit like the sled sticking. The soft blue nylon type gears can get burrs on them. Then there's the grease issue.

Fault finding is always a case of confirming everything is OK. A low/poor signal from the pickup could just as easily give similar symptoms, the servos just about cope in normal play, do a track jump and lock is lost.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
just to make sure i swapped 2 used, but known good mechs and it still behaves the same? i even cleaned and removed the grease, checked sled gears etc. the 2 mechs were tested in a naim cd3.5 and worked fine, but not in the quad cdp? hmmm

I wouldn't like to guess now. It needs a proper faultfinding methodology applying.
I've never seen a service manual for the Quad so don't know what if any adjustments are possible. Many CDM12.1 and 12.4 mechs (the players rather) have no adjustments. I'm meaning such things as focus bias and offset adjustments, focus and tracking gain, E-F balance etc etc.

I wouldn't like to guess now. It needs a proper faultfinding methodology applying.
I've never seen a service manual for the Quad so don't know what if any adjustments are possible. Many CDM12.1 and 12.4 mechs (the players rather) have no adjustments. I'm meaning such things as focus bias and offset adjustments, focus and tracking gain, E-F balance etc etc.
Such service manuals are only to get from manufacturers like Philips and Marantz but not from the typical small audio brands from U.K. If I know the IC types for PCM-Decoder, servo-prozessor, RF-PreAmp and instruction processor, maybe I can call you the associated model from Philips, from that one you can then download the according service manual.
About
Quad upgrades
and
¢Æ PrimeAudio.co.kr ¢¹ ÀÚ·á½Ç ¢Æ
I have find inside pics. unfortunately too small
Cause the using of CDM12.4 head I guess, you need the service manual from one of Philips CDI models (= CD interactice)
http://cdinteractive.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2443&sid=801f2e3b94252810dc4d0ba293b098dd

Attachments

• Quad-77 front.jpg
    Quad-77 front.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 251
  • Quad 77 open.jpg
    Quad 77 open.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 290
  • Quad-77 front right.jpg
    Quad-77 front right.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Thanks for the update.

The CDM12.4 is the one with a plastic spring that pushes on the motor... simple but effective although it does wear the motor bearing in a definite direction.

Just out of interest where did you get the mech from ?

Thanks for the update.

The CDM12.4 is the one with a plastic spring that pushes on the motor... simple but effective although it does wear the motor bearing in a definite direction.

the most wear I observe between the white plastic clamper (plastic fellow traveler character) mounted in the metal clamper unit.
What kind of lubricate is to prefer between the pressure point of this both devices (have a look to the first pic about post #16) ??

BTW - the Philips part number of the completly loader is follow:
"482269110742" (for google) resp. "4822 691 10742" (according serv. manual)
I read in the service manual follow:
"The CD Loader include CD mechanism will be exchanged in case of a failure. Both are available as spare part.
The CD loader module is a new loader with a CDM 12.4 mechanism and separate loader parts will be available via service stock. The CD mainboard can be repaired on component level"

This means for me, that plastic clamper (plastic fellow traveler character), mounted in the metal clamper unit isn't available.
In the exploded view this parts are not mentioned, and therefore I do additional not know the exactly terms in English (and German) for it.
For me it is also of interest, which company is your supplier of the L1265.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update.

i was about to buy one from ebay then a mate gave me one he had kept for spares. the ebay one's are cheap but not sure if genuine? but there is a seller selling them for around £16.

I usually use this grease for most maintenance work and find it generally excellent,
ELECTROLUBE|SPG35SL|SPECIAL PLASTICS GREASE 35ML | CPC
Never worked on the L1265, only the L1210
Thank you for that advice.
here the data sheet:
Electrolube - Product guides - Contact Lubricant - SPG-Special Plastic Grease
http://www.electrolube.com/064/products/tds/SPG.pdf
i was about to buy one from ebay then a mate gave me one he had kept for spares. the ebay one's are cheap but not sure if genuine? but there is a seller selling them for around £16.
do you remember the item No or the ebay member name of the seller ?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.