Print transformers: what are they good for?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
PCB mounted Xformer

I'm using a PC mounted transformer for my Neve-clone mic preamps. They have good hum isolation. These are not "india" though, I bought them from digikey.

dualneve.jpg

PCB's with mains power on them (by definition any product with mains powered transformers) must include a provision to to "finger proof" any tracks or leads that carry mains power. This can entail a piece of fisch paper or plastic mounted to the PCB or some kind of cover.

In-line fuses with mains power on them must also be shielded from contact (by design or with an removable insulating cover).

The reason for this should be obvious to anyone who works on equipment.

My company designs high volume commercial products and where ever possible we use wall transformers to eliminate the chance of electrocution (and in the event it happens, shift liability to the power supply vendors).

In one ticket printer we built there was a safety interlock switch that removed power from the board any time the cover was removed. This was due to the likelyhood that clearing a paper jam might require removing the cover.

Phil

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.