PREVENTING OXIDATION ON BRASS MAINS PLUG PINS?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys thanks for your input.

I would agree that the so called tune-up-grease is basically a non conductive silicone grease, and I was refering to the permatex brand stuff. I also would have thought it be ok to use provided its not lathered on, but really it is designed for more extreme enviroments where heat, moisture etc are present and cause the bluey green oxidation. Its great on motorbike wiring from experience, and its well worth while to go through all the connections on such and give them coating of it.

I appreciate I a trying to solve a non-problem, I was just wondering everyones take on it :D

Its quite possible that people have one of those mini substations and a dedicated spur using shielded belden alarm cable and unswitched sockets feeding audio equipment, so looking to prevent oxidation on the contact points could be worthwile as its possibly the weakest link in the chain....

The caig line includes a protectant.

Best IMHO was cramolin I think it was called, two-step clean/protect. Included some conductive wetting agent too.

One nice thing is that the good stuff tends to migrate across contacts and get passed around like a benevolant sexual disease, and eventually after you treat enough of your plugs and jacks to assure universal "infection" they all work better. Now of course this applies more to a studio with many patch bays with thousands of jacks than to your house's mains AC. But it really is nice...after a certain amount of routine cleaning and protecting you just stop having problems.

Or you can use cadmium but it's expensive. I remember the connectors on an old mainframe looked all oxidized dull and I expressed concern until the CE informed me I was an idiot and that those particular exotic metal contacts had a very conductive oxide that works better as it gets old.

What would mercury wetting do for the contacts?
That would make them work very well, but.....selling anything with exposed mercury not allowed.
I'd just wipe them down with A thin layer of silicon grease which will be broken by the sliding action of insertion and extraction.

Oleic acid has the interesting property that if you put a drop in the middle of a swimming pool it will keep spreading until it is one molecule thick. I learnt this in a Chemistry experiment where we used a known weight/volume and measured the subsequent area and were able to calculate something fascinating.

David

Oleic acid has the interesting property that if you put a drop in the middle of a swimming pool it will keep spreading until it is one molecule thick.

There are quite a few substances with this property and it's often exploited in fabrication of monolayers onto solid substrates. Look up "Langmuir-Blodgett," fascinating stuff (at least to geeks like me).

Trivia: This was Margaret Thatcher's research specialty.

Yes, you can determine molecular size (at least for this orientation) by measuring interference. This is made easier by stacking the films via repeated immersion/withdrawal. There are a lot of easier ways to determine size, though, and generally, when you make the films, you already know the size of the molecule that you're depositing.

LB films are more commonly used for sensor applications- you can derivatize the molecule to selectively bind the substance to be detected, then measure conformational or other spectroscopic changes. I've been looking at ways to use these for detection of conformational changes in estrogen receptor binding of ligands.

Some are. They work by creating a barrier film which is nonconductive, but can easily be mechanically displaced. Some are available as vapor treatments.

A couple years ago, I invented an anticorrosion material based on nanoscale conductive polymer. Maybe it's time for me to spin a nice story around it and sell it for $1000 per gram to gullible audiophiles with too much expendable income.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.