Prevent Small Full Range Driver From Overextending Itself

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
312295d1353057917-prevent-small-full-range-driver-overextending-itself-stand-mount-mtm.gif

is there any more info on this design floating around? it looks awesome.

I'm not sure a series cross over makes it all that simple... Not having actually done much with series, just thinking here, a series cross over MAY not be as sensitive to the impedance peak, but isn't immune. It's also subject to the woofer filter. Am I missing something here?

I should add, it may work perfectly first order, depending on how things work out. It's just not as simple as making it series makes it work, afaik.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
It's just not as simple as making it series makes it work, afaik.

True. But XOing in the region where both drivers have minimum impedance seems to be ideal for a 1st order series. There is also lots of room for adjustment by changing the size of the parts... the XO point tracks all the time, but the nature and shape of the hand-over is malleable.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
is there any more info on this design floating around? it looks awesome.

Not at this time. It is a 1st pass design (but based on work done previously and another example of FASTs to encourage peopel -- if it works you can actually buy the drivers thou), as drawn it doesn't even have the right bass drivers in it (but they are drawn to scale).

The box is the same mT trapezoid as the EL70 fits into and uses the FF85wKeN is all i will say at this time. It is in Chris's queue to build.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.