Presentation and followup on DIY Distortion measurement from Burning Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I'll be posting a link to the Powerpoint from our presentation at Burning Amp here along with any support materials.

This is also a good place to post follow up questions and comments. There is a lot of other stuff we could have covered but not nearly enough time. However Both Jonathan and I can continue to offer advice from our experience.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Here is a link to the load resistors mentioned in the presentation:
1/2/4/8/10 Ohm 100W Watt Shell Power Aluminum Housed Case Wirewound Resistor GS | eBay

There are many others offering the same resistors (Typical of this type of part from China).

Must be 100 Chinese toy Watts, or have these types of resistors improved a lot during the years?
Perhaps half that maybe closer to reality, I have in front of me a bunch of albeit quite old Arcol Danotherm (one is marked Dale btw), pretty much same size, body length ~50mm, and with the leads ~70mm, they are 50 Watts, but for the price these Chinese ones are maybe "OK".

The info on that eBay pages says: "...low standard induction resistance...", probably meant "low inductance"?

Joined 2004
Paid Member
The resistors do need a serious heat sink and will still get very how if stressed at full load. At $1.33 its not unreasonable to get a bunch and series parallel them mounted on a heat sink. If you need still more dissipation you can put them in a bucket of water. They may corrode and the water will boil but the power handling will increase a lot. They are supposedly rated to be over 100C on the case.

Would Glycol radiator additive or ready mixed coolant cure the corrosion issues ?.
Some coolant additive contain a corrosion inhibitor.
These were usually intended for vehicle that had a major component in aluminium and others in ferrous metal.
Now most vehicles have at least some major aluminium component so maybe all coolant additives have a corrosion inhibitor.

Some coolant additive contain a corrosion inhibitor.
These were usually intended for vehicle that had a major component in aluminium and others in ferrous metal.
Now most vehicles have at least some major aluminium component so maybe all coolant additives have a corrosion inhibitor.

Redline WaterWetter. I use it in my track motorcycle instead of slippery glycol-based coolant, which is not allowed on the racetrack. Just a couple ounces/gallon of DI water. It's basically the additives + some surfactant. Can't say what conductivity you'd end up with, but I don't expect there is any significant ionic content.

BK

Demian,

You did good. Too bad they didn't have someone rotating the shotgun mic
when Jonathan was answering questions and vice versa when you handed
the electrec mic over to your colleague.

When are you going to do a road show?

OR

How can I get a chance to evaluate some of the high end test gear?

Can we create one of the junk box of gear threads for it and
send it around as a Goodie Box of Test Gear?

I'll volunteer to be the first receiver of the Goodie box.
Anyone else please fill in the form below:

1. SyncTronX
n.

"...the phase change."
Don't they call that plasma now?
That state during the phase changes?

Things just aren't the same now that Pluto got demoted.
Are we down to 8 planets, or did they add some other
rotational heavenly bodies way down yonder?

Last edited:
Measuring or getting more information on the amplifier distortion measurement with non FFT instruments:

I have for many years used this method to help understand how well the amplifier is working. Using an analog notch filter device the measures THD+N like a Heath kit, HP339, Tektronix SG505/AA501, AP System or other similar test instruments. Feed in a Sine wave and listen to the Error waveform and adjust the input level up/down, different loads, and different frequencies. If the ERROR SIGNAL SOUNDS BAD or the tonal quality changes then you can investigate and fix the problem.

Some of the Audio Analyzers do have a built in monitor speaker and this is very useful for debug tests.

The amplifier speaker system for hearing the ERROR signal is not critical to what is heard as this is only a simplified tool to help guide you to a better understanding or solution.

I hope this may be of some help to some users.
Duke

SyncTronX,

Demian and I have not planned any road shows at this point. We are waiting for our promoters to book the right stadiums... This may take some time.

In the mean time, I can be found at most of the major audio related trade shows and I usually keep an AverLAB on my person for anyone interested in seeing it.

I also see you are a Cubs fan so I presume you're in the Chicago area. The next audio show there is AXPONA in April. Unfortunately, it overlaps with two other shows so I will probably have to skip that one. I can always do web-based demos for anyone interested. :)

-Jonathan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.