prerecorded cassette tape capability

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
.... No cassette deck that I am aware of can hit 20k at 0dB. ....

No *tape* will accept 0VU at the top of the audio band, with cassette EQ.

The playback EQ curve is flat above midrange, while the underlying magnetics fall all through the top end. The difference has to be made up by massive boost on the Record side, 15dB or 20dB. This is acceptable for speech/music recordings because such sounds fall-off all through the treble, never have full power in the top octave.

Power amps (especially tubed) are FR rated two ways: near full power, and at 1 Watt. It is perfectly easy to build an amp flat 50Hz-15KHz near full power but 5Hz-50KHz at 1 Watt where the parasitics are not limiting. Since again speech/music is never full power at the extremes, this makes a fine amplifier.

Don't test tape for stuff you will never put on it. 0 VU of 20KHz, if you could do it, would burn your ears and tweeters. The -20VU level is more appropriate for reading bandwidth.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
What i can say is that cassette decks do not always come with perfect playback speed.
That's for sure - and I know this thru choreography. :) I used to work with dancer quite a bit and they would rehearse with music played back on whatever cassette deck was in the studio. They were always complaining that this deck as slow, that one fast, etc. I couldn't hear it, but the dancers could always feel it.

For show the music was on open reel, normally played back on a Revox B77.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.