Precision devices

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
paulspencer said:
wuffer, you can put an open baffle dipole in a corner as seen in Linkwitz site, but its not so good for the midrange. I've seen a corner dipole woofer under a oris horn which seemed an appropriate combination. Or you could use a sealed monopole 12" for mids and above on top of a corner dipole. 3 way makes sense to me for this kind of setup, with a sub below 40 Hz if desired.

thanks.. 40hz is low enough for me at the time.. :) i think

I paid a lot less for mine but its a little scratchy on the in stroke! re-cones are reasonable though, once re-coned it will still have cost me less than half that of a new one. just a shame I can't get the 21" basket in the oven to powder coat it a nice new shiny colour :(

I fear that taking a 21" sub into Comet (highstreet electronics and white good chain, often staffed by poorly trained chimps) would probably get me sectioned, they were very unhelpful when I went in with a 15" alloy wheel to see which cheap oven it would fit into last time I went to buy a dirt cheap oven!

I also wasn't taken that seriously when I last bought a car, going round the showrooms with a pair of 16"wide and 9" deep asymetric horns and compression drivers, checking to see which cars I could get them under the dash of for my stereo install!

Wuss!

BTW, reconing those PD devices is a dream, certainly on the 24"s, the packing needed for the voice coil spacing was exactly that of a piece of card from a fag packet folded into two. Coincidence? I wonder...

However, the relatively large gap does attract all sorts of rubbish, so it's well worth running a piece of folded over sticky tape around the inside of the VC gap, just to get any bits of stuff out, before you fit the new cone.

phase_accurate said:
And the question ist: How does it SOUND ?

Regards

Charles

Well, the best of both worlds. :D It combines the depth of the closed box sub with the clarity of the U-frame. But at the same time that is also it's downside. It's neither flesh nor fish as we say in the Netherlands. It doesn't excel in either region, so I have decided to put the PD2150's in sealed enclosures and will be using 15" woofers on my open-baffle main speakers.:eek:

It still is an amazing sub, one of the best I have heard, but I want the best in everything!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.