preamps, ss versus tubes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, I don't want to be sarcastic, really not, but on the ins and outs of 'electrical conditions or state', someone already has, but it has been ignored.

I'm sure you realise that the question "what is better, ss or tubes" cannot be answered in a meaningfull way except with a several page explantion of the 'it depends' factors?

jd

I wasn't aware that it had been already answered. In my case, it was not a matter of ignoring the facts, rather not fully understanding.
Could you quote the contributor please?
The possibility of the clear facts being ignored seems very possible and I am not accusing anyone here specifically, its just that conversation and discussion is, in and of itself, a difficult discipline indeed.

Agree, about the ... "several page explanation of the 'it depends' factors?"

PSW Recording Forums is certainly the place to bring this subject up as there are a large number of internationally respected designers, recordists, producers, etc.
Perhaps, if no one is able to conclude this topic, it would be interesting to take the thoughts expressed here and post it over there.

There is actually a plethora of such individuals here. A few of them don't act like children either. :D

Originally Posted by philmagnotta
PSW Recording Forums is certainly the place to bring this subject up as there are a large number of internationally respected designers, recordists, producers, etc.
Perhaps, if no one is able to conclude this topic, it would be interesting to take the thoughts expressed here and post it over there.

There is actually a plethora of such individuals here. A few of them don't act like children either. :D

I fully agree regarding the many talented folks here. I've stated this many times.
It's just that the folks over at PSW generally are involved in a different field even though it actually all comes down to same thing.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I wasn't aware that it had been already answered. In my case, it was not a matter of ignoring the facts, rather not fully understanding.
Could you quote the contributor please?[snip]?"

I thought that post # 206 gave a clear account. But I understand the problem of picking out the sensible stuff from several conflicting statements. It's a classic chicken-or-egg problem: you have to have some knowledge about the subject to be able to judge the answers. I'm not saying you don't have it, more as a general observation.

jd

I thought that post # 206 gave a clear account. But I understand the problem of picking out the sensible stuff from several conflicting statements. It's a classic chicken-or-egg problem: you have to have some knowledge about the subject to be able to judge the answers. I'm not saying you don't have it, more as a general observation.

jd

Thanks. I'll have a look at #206 and run it by some of the folks at PSW.
Agree about the remainder of you reply, although as stated earlier, there is a lot to be said, therefore even the experts will disagree from time to time.

Not about the basic things discussed here. But, unlike 'Ph.D', 'expert' is not a protected title. Anybody can call himself an expert on anything. Further muddying the waters ;)
There's no way around educating yourself, in the end.

jd
If the 'expert' has an agenda, that can further muddy the waters. In the end, FWIW I recommend an empirical approach.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.