• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

preamplifier with huge amplification

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Another way to get high gain and good drive capabilities in a single stage is to try a resistively loaded pentode with a CCS assist. You can use a high value resistor to get the gain up, the CCS provides additional current to get the pentode into a good operating point, and you can use the MU output of the CCS to drive the next stage.

Using 1/2 of a 6BN11 pentode with CCS the circuit had a gain of 192 and output impedance of 500 ohms. Distortion was .54% at 90Vrms.

I'm sure that with some of the other high transconductance pentodes the gain could be pushed higher.

Look at the Pentode + CCS driver page under Driver Experiments on my web page for more details.

Yes, why not. For a 300B SE driver, I think the sound of EL84(6BQ5) pentode-mode driver is much better than the horrible 6SN7 cascaded pair usually seen in this position (and in the referred KT90 cathode follower circuit).

Your example of 6BQ5 (EL84) with 500V supply and Av=125 is almost there. The KT90 version is probably a bridge too far, but with a 300V EL34 PSE, a 9W rms output to the load needs about 360V pk-pk of grid drive.

With EL84 as driver, maybe we could increase the supply to the cold-anode limit (550V) and it would just about do it. The high voltage required is the downside. Compared with the shunt cascode, which will drive even more output swing than this with Power Supply Voltages no more than 250V beyond ground (+ and - in this case).

But provided one can source some high-voltage parts for the CCS, the EL84 pentode is an excellent candidate. Or, for higher voltages,the EL34 as driver is more comfortable, with its 800V rating (probably safer at 600V for many modern types).

mu output on ixys regulator

I just tried to configure an ixys regulator as a mu follower.
373829d1380418352-6sn7-6v6x2-dc-coupled-2-stage-stacked-supplies-6v6-6w6-x2-dc-coupled-2-stage-too-many-power-supplies-sept-27-2013.jpg

Music comes out as shown but is this it? Thank you. -Fred

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.